Sunday, August 1, 2010

Walking: Carytown, Monument Avenue, and Church Hill (August 1, 2010)

Overcast and somewhat gloomy this Sunday in Richmond, but temperatures were nice, and the humidity was low, a good time to take the car and take a walk around some of my favorite areas. Took a walk around Carytown which is a very amazing place with a number of stores and also quite a few "interesting people" along its streets. Photo at left is the Byrd Theater, which was built in 1928. The Byrd is on both the state and national historic registers. I am told it is a remarkable thing to see inside. It also shows movies for a low price which it has been doing for years. In fact it was the first theater in Virginia with sound. Next Sunday is the Carytown Watermelon Festival and those streets will be packed with people, and vendors.

I took a walk around Monument Avenue. I like that street not only for the historic statues which line the brick avenue, but also the great houses which can be found there. Of course, I also was pleased (both in Carytown and on Monument Avenue) to see three classic motorcycles which were in use (since they had license plates) and also an old VW Bus (with the required Grateful Dead Sticker). It is a beautiful street to stroll down, and I have done that in the past. Today though was especially nice thanks to the vehicles I saw, as well as the heat being much less of a problem. Enjoyed the walk there, and think it is a worthy place to visit when you are in the area.
I also got out to Church Hill, which is one of my favorite neighborhoods in the Richmond area. I like the Soldiers and Sailors monument near there, also enjoy visiting St. John's Church, but also of interest are the houses to be found there. Like with Carytown, and Monument Avenue, Church Hill has some beautiful old houses and some quite unique ones as well. Course this photo was of interest to me not just for the houses, but also for the pair of Honda Shadows (I used to ride one of those before I got the Vulcan) out front. There is a lot to see there though, plus from many points some nice views of the Richmond area from its lofty points. There is a lot of history to be found in the Church Hill area. I also before heading back to my apartment, made one more stop, but that deserves a special comment all its own in my next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Brit Floyd (May 17, 2024)

Went with friends last night to the Brit Floyd concert at The Rose in Huber Heights. Was a wonderful concert, the band was fantastic. Sure, ...