Saturday, August 6, 2016

Dragon Boat Races (August 6, 2016)

I go to this about every year, other than weather I don't miss it. Rocketts Landing is a really nice area of Richmond. Pretty view and one of my favorites, plus this event is a lot of fun. Free (except for food and drink if you buy any) and different from most of the local events in the area it is a lot of fun to watch.
Dragon Boat racing has 20 rowers, one person to steer and a drummer to help the rowers row in unison.
The boats usually race in three or four boat races, and the races are not overly long, but as some of the racers told me they are quite a workout and look to be so,
I liked watching the races and even had quite a few teams from where I work to root for. No, did not do it though have considered it over the years.    
I first went to these events when I was in the Navy and stationed in Thailand. The event started in the orient and there was also dancing there. Had a great crowd, it seems to get bigger and bigger each year.
Looking forward to going back to this in 2017, though sure would have been nicer with a bit cooler temperatures which had a heat index well over 100 degrees. It was a great deal of fun though.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Barber Motorsports Museum, Birmingham, Alabama (April 26, 2024)

If you are into motorcycles and some amazing cars, this is your museum. Literally the largest motorcycle museum in the world with over 1100 ...