Thursday, August 5, 2010

Pony Pasture (August 5, 2010)

Second time is the charm; found the Pony Pasture Rapids on my second trip to the area. Suspected that I had missed a turn, and that was the case (though did enjoy the drive a couple of days ago, and in fact re-drove the area after visiting the park). Nice area with a great view of the James River. Good crowd there on a very hot (like 100 degrees hot) Richmond day. As I have noted in the past, lived for a few years in the Louisville, Kentucky area and loved the Ohio River. The Ohio River was the center of much of the really good activity (Thunder Over Louisville and a slew of concerts) in the city, and for Richmond it is much the same.

Rapids on the river bring a lot of tubers and kayaking, and photo at left has a group setting off. The James is very rocky at spots, but those make some great areas for swimming platforms, and make it a different sort of river. Lots of ducks and other birds and animals there; was a really peaceful place indeed. I was very glad I found it, and will be returning there from time to time in the months and years to come. In fact, both this and Forest Hill Park are a few of my favorite places to visit, which also would have to include Maymont Park, which is a remarkable thing. I wonder what parks remain to be found that I have yet to see?
In fact, Maymont Park will be having a Jazz Festival on August 14-15 which will have some 25 acts for a very reasonable price. Some of the proceeds will benefit the park, and it should be a really good event. There is certainly always something interesting in Richmond to do and see. I do get frustrated with people at work who like me have come from Carolina; afraid (I imagine) to go out, and have nothing to say but "there is nothing to do or see here". I frankly have been amazed at what I have discovered here, and look forward to seeing what will be coming up. Richmond I have found is a fun and interesting town with a lot to offer to those who get out and explore it. To this point, it has been a real pleasure to live here!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Brit Floyd (May 17, 2024)

Went with friends last night to the Brit Floyd concert at The Rose in Huber Heights. Was a wonderful concert, the band was fantastic. Sure, ...