Sunday, August 22, 2010

A Drive in Richmond (August 22, 2010)

Got out for a few hours, doing one of my favorite things; exploring Richmond, Va. Got to a few places today. On the way out, went by Cloverleaf Mall. This largely abandoned mall (has a Firestone Auto and a Bank of America open on the lot, but nothing else) is due to be torn down within the next year, re-developed and some new stuff to open there (a Kroger according to the sign out front will be built on that site). Read in the Saturday Richmond newspaper that the company that will be redeveloping it is from Charlotte, NC..which is quite interesting considering my perspective. Will be following this to see what happens here over the next year.
I went up Chippenham Parkway, and stopped at Stony Point Fashion Park for a short walk. I really like that mall; its outdoor, its got some interesting stores, and its dog friendly which is cool as hell. Walk them around, bring them in the stores..they don't care. I like that. While out, came across a bike show at Hooters on West Broad Street; made a quick U-turn and wandered around. Saw some really nice motorcycles..I like that, because I ride! The VW trike in the foreground was just one of the nice motorcycles I saw. In fact, have been finding West Broad Street is a most interesting part of this very interesting city.
Off of West Broad, got on 288 and rolled out toward the Midlothian Turnpike. All this was sort of a big loop. I like the Midlothian Turnpike, which was, I remember from what I have read, the first paved road in Virginia? Been from one end to the other (goes far toward Appomattox in the one direction, out to Shockoe Bottom in the other), but I made a stop a Breakers Sports Bar and Grill before getting back to the apartment. Nice place...people (as as most in Richmond) are friendly, the prices are not bad, and they have a slew of televisions to watch sports and other shows. Not a real "bells and whistles" sort of place, but a nice place to hang out.
Got to give a shout out to the weather forecasters, they called it right, since I got back sounded like a war zone out there with the thunder, and the clouds got really dark, followed by sheets of rain. 60% chance of showers indeed! Thankfully the power is still on, during a storm a few days ago, power was out some 18 hours! We can use the rain though, so not a bad thing.
This was a good day, and I enjoyed the drive a great deal. Should also mention that I play guitar and came across Sam Ash and Guitar Center on West Broad Street; cool thing was that they are within walking distance of each other. I also have been (but not today) to the Richmond Music Center, also a great store to explore if you are a musician (or an aspiring one as in my case.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Barber Motorsports Museum, Birmingham, Alabama (April 26, 2024)

If you are into motorcycles and some amazing cars, this is your museum. Literally the largest motorcycle museum in the world with over 1100 ...