Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Farewell to my Father (July 20-July 27)

Got terrible news from my brother on July 18, my father passed away in Southern Indiana at age 73. A great man who took care of me for many years, and gave me the tools that made my life was it has become. He loved trucks (worked for a number of truck lines) travel and adventure, and liked to laugh. His passing makes the world a less interesting place indeed. My wife Patty left from Carolina, while I drove from Richmond to Louisville. During my time there went to some of my favorite places in the city and remembered good times with him. As he took care of me, I took care of his final arrangements for his time to be spent with Mom, who went ahead of him a few years ago. Photo at left was taken at Cherokee Park in Louisville, a beautiful place in the "other" River City.
Went to a lot of places where I grew up, and thought of things we had done together. Felt strange as with most visits home I spent a lot of time with him, we would drive around (he was big on driving...liked to get out in the car and just look at things...guess that is where I get that from) and the Louisville and Southern Indiana area has a lot of interesting sites. Like with Richmond it is an area big on history, and keeps its history close and current. I will have a few more photos on my photo page shortly. This was taken in Jeffersonville, Indiana which is a very fine city there with a lot of historic sites to check out.
Last photo is the view of the Ohio River from the Indiana side, and the new "Yum Arena" which will be the new home of the Louisville Cardinals basketball team (the building that is getting the nickname "The Toaster at center). The visit was a time spent with my wonderful wife Patty, family from all over (we are all widely scattered), friends of mine, and many people I have not seen in years. He had quite the send off and would have been pleased at how many family and friends came to say goodbye to him. Sad, but also wonderful as well at how sad events bring so many people together. While it is sad that he is gone, I am left with many wonderful memories, and have tried to pass on the many things he taught to my family. He had a great impact on those who knew him, and the people he knew were the better for knowing him. I could not have asked for a better father and consider myself fortunate to have been his son.

2 comments:

  1. I am sorry to hear of your dads passing. I know he must have been proud of you and I hope he read your blogs from time to time. It is a beautiful place he lived at and I thank him for giving me a cyber friend who has enriched my life with your stories that I believe you must have learned from him. May you have peace in your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Gypsy. Yeah, much if not most of what I am is due to him. He was a great deal of fun, and loved new places and experiences. He lived a good life and did not let grass grow under his feet. I appreciate you comments and enjoy talking with you!

    ReplyDelete

Brit Floyd (May 17, 2024)

Went with friends last night to the Brit Floyd concert at The Rose in Huber Heights. Was a wonderful concert, the band was fantastic. Sure, ...