Sunday, July 11, 2010

Sunday in the Carolinas (July 11, 2010)

The long visit to Concord/Charlotte is winding down today. A most remarkable holiday/vacation is ending. Great time with the family, friends, and also enjoyed the fact that I had this long to-do list, and I did it all for a change. Weather was good other than the heat (one rainy night) and it was just nice to be in my own house, with my own family. This is a very interesting place. This morning enjoyed breakfast with Patty at Punchy's Diner in Concord. Good food, very reasonable prices (and a chance to try Liver Mush if you have never had it). They even have cars and bikes on display inside the restaurant. Harley out front is a customers bike, but I liked it. Seeing a lot of bikes with Ape-Hanger handlebars, to each their own.
During the morning dog walk, had a group of ultralight aircraft flying together "someplace". Could tell that from the noise of the engines, and the types of the planes. With my cousin also (this month) becoming a licensed pilot, and being an aviation nut myself, had planes on my mind, so rode the Vulcan out to Wilgrove Airport, a small private field just outside of Charlotte, NC off of NC 24/27. The fact it is a nice country ride out there also did not hurt. Classic field with grass parking for the planes, and one runway. Quiet on a nice Sunday morning, but was neat to get a look at it. A number of airports like this can be found in North Carolina.

During the morning motorcycle ride, came across South 21. I have seen this place featured on "Diner's, Drive In's, and Dives" so stopped for a photo even though it was closed for vacation. I remember back in the day that there were many places like these, and in fact Sonic is sort of bringing that sort of thing back. I have been by here a few times, but never stopped in. Have been told by a number of people its pretty good though, so will be checking that out in a future visit. That is my motorcycle by the sign by the way at far left. Often go places and then drag Patty to them later on...motorcycles are great for exploring new areas.

Last photo was at Time Warner Arena in Uptown Charlotte. Nice place; the two spindles out front are supposed to be representative of Charlotte's textile history (lots of mills were in this region for a long time). I have been in there, it is a real nice arena, and in addition to concerts (such as the upcoming Paul McCartney) they also host the Charlotte Bobcats (now owned by Michael Jordan) and the Charlotte Checkers Hockey team. I also went by the Epicenter; sort of a food/bar area which was pretty cool. Been past it but have not walked around it. That is where "Whiskey River" is located, owned by Dale Earnhardt, Jr. of Nascar fame.
At any case, it has been a remarkable and fun 10 days in the Carolinas, but will be returning to Richmond in a few hours, and am looking forward to seeing what new (and at this point) what old favorite things I can explore there. Sure feel lucky to live in two remarkable places, and have a great deal of fun in both of them.

2 comments:

  1. Just wanted to let you know I am still enjoying the pics and your blog out here in cyber world. I must have a giant list of places and things to do that you write about. I will be heading down to Concord soon and a few other places you have written about. I am happy I found your blog as there are things I would not have known about even in my own backyard . I look forward to your next writeup. Have a great weekend !

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's cool...thanks Gypsy. Charlotte is a fun town, but Richmond is a great place too. I had a good time this weekend, got in a little bit of exploring (along with a bit of overtime too) here in Richmond.

    ReplyDelete

Brit Floyd (May 17, 2024)

Went with friends last night to the Brit Floyd concert at The Rose in Huber Heights. Was a wonderful concert, the band was fantastic. Sure, ...