Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Views of Kentuckiana (Dec 27-28, 2013)

 Hotel was near  this mega church, Southeast Christian, which is a monster church (those are just some of the buildings, and they have a great big expansion church in Southern Indiana as well). Got an oil change (was due) on the car at a Mobil 1 place across the street (and highly recommend it). Also across the street was Heine Brothers coffee, got me one of those and later after the flight had a beer at Mellow Mushroom. It is why I like staying in the area there, lots of things to do and enjoy in that area. Nice part of town and also many things to see as well.  
This is my old grade school, formerly known as Greenacres in Clarksville, Indiana. Now its this big new huge building (though the old one is still there, this is sort of an "addition") . Went to see the old schools, and liked that. Did a bit of exploring in Southern Indiana, which this trip (previous post) included over it. Nice time though and a good place to be. Had some good years there.
During this trip went to Sellersburg, New Albany, Speed, Clarksville, Jeffersonville, and also got some time in Louisville, Kentucky...its all close together. Lived at times in both Indiana and Kentucky.    
This is in New Albany. Think they are celebrating (judging by the signs I saw) 200 years. Great city, with a lot of old and many new, buildings. This one is old, but very cool (also was not open..damn the luck). During the three previous photos Mollie was with me, most places not as dog friendly in Indiana as they are in Virginia (where dogs are welcome and generally found everywhere).
Was fun to explore though and had a good time seeing all the sights and it was fun just being there.  
Went to Cunninghams on the river with my son, his wife and my two grandkids. Great place to eat, you get both a lot and some of the best fish I have had in Louisville ever.
Got quite a few good places to eat, it's a fun town. Not sure it is a food centered as Richmond is, which is getting to be quite the foodie town it seems, but a lot of old classic places and a lot of new too. I like to eat whenever possible at non-chains (though they have their place) and this was a good one to visit. Very down home, and a lot of really good service, with great food!
Went to see my family on Saturday in Southern Indiana (flew with my cousin the day before) but on the way came across signs for Kentucky Speedway. Mollie (who traveled with me) had never seen it, so took her there, and its in the background. Had a great time seeing the track, and in fact a fantastic time with my family in Northern Kentucky.
Trip was just a remarkable thing, and I had a lot of fun being there. Think I should have stayed a bit longer, as it sure was a lot of fun from beginning to end. Think I said it was the best trip ever, looking back...I believe I was right.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Brit Floyd (May 17, 2024)

Went with friends last night to the Brit Floyd concert at The Rose in Huber Heights. Was a wonderful concert, the band was fantastic. Sure, ...