Monday, January 6, 2014

So ends Christmas (January 5, 2014)

 My girlfriend and I found it was the last day for the Christmas decorations at the Maymont Mansion, and having been before (and she having not been there in quite some years) thought it would be cool to see. House is amazing, built by the Dooley family at the turn of the century, 98% of the items in it came from them. Its like a time capsule and amazing to see how Christmas was held back in the day. House was one of the first in Richmond to have electricity, though the Christmas trees in the house were lit with candles. The house was donated to the City of Richmond with the death of the wife. 
These are mote of the buildings, Maymont is a real treasure and one of my favorite places to visit. In addition to the house, there is a collection of vehicles (one of which is below, some others at the photo page on this blog) a really neat zoo and in the spring and summer wonderful Italian and Japanese gardens to explore. Not only that as it is sort of hilly, its a great place to walk around. Even some music events are held there. Most every thing is either no cost or low cost (it was $5 a piece to tour the house, and in my opinion well worth it). The Maymont Foundation takes care of the house and the grounds. 
This is a sled in the Carriage House, as I noted the Christmas displays ended on Sunday January 5. I have to say this year in Richmond (and also some other places during the Christmas season) have been wonderful...I had a great time and will have some fine memories.
This will end Christmas 2013 for me, but I will sure be smiling with the memories that I have for this year. Looking forward to Christmas 2014, it is always one of my favorite times of year and think that one will also have me smiling. Hope all of you had a great time, thanks so much for visiting my page and will be bringing you more in 2014!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Barber Motorsports Museum, Birmingham, Alabama (April 26, 2024)

If you are into motorcycles and some amazing cars, this is your museum. Literally the largest motorcycle museum in the world with over 1100 ...