Thursday, February 4, 2010

Richmond...The First Year

Most "best/worst" of the year posts happen just before the new year or in January, but my year here has run from February of last year to the current date. Came to Richmond with an open mind, and a whole lot of curiosity. Had no real idea what the city was like, or what I would really find beyond some internet research and information from co-workers already here.
Looking back at my posts over the last year, have to say that by and large its been a wonderful year. The "bad" has been few and far between which is good. The snow of late would be a negative, though its also to be considered that the city has nothing to do with it, and from what I am reading, this much is sort of a fluke. Traffic at times can be wild (but its a city, and that is to be expected). Some problems dealing with some of the businesses here; but again that is not uncommon to Richmond. Pretty lame bad list which is a good thing.
Positives are a lot easier. Over the last year, and many times, have been impressed with the friendly Richmond people. Lots of good suggestions on places to see, places to eat, tips for getting around town, and just good general information (Thanks especially to Gypsy for a lot of good tips). Big things I enjoyed most would be Belle Isle (a remarkable place to explore), Hollywood Cemetery, Monument Avenue, many and various Civil War sites, the Virginia Aviation Museum (a real jewel), Virginia History Museum, the James River, Shockoe Bottom, Church Hill, the Fan, and downtown. I think Canal Walk is very neat (though underdeveloped) but a nice area to explore.
What gets really special notice is the "Tacky Light Tour". For someone away from home over much of the holidays, it was a real treat and saw some amazing sites. No one does Christmas in my opinion like Richmond, Va.
As for food; not a food critic (that will be seen) but sure enjoyed Bottom's Up, The Boathouse, Buz and Ned's, and The Village Cafe is really neat as well. I try to really check out the local places to eat, and plan to expand that over next year.
I also plan to get out more to the outlying areas. However, great times exploring the history of Richmond at places such as Mechanicsville and Petersburg. Both really offered some interesting sights. I also liked checking out Hopewell/City Point a great deal.
This is a short list, sure there are some places I have forgotten (though have a good list in my blog over the past year). Still enjoy driving around (when the roads are not covered with snow as of lately) and often discover something new and interesting.
Speaking of snow, more is expected this weekend. Next snowed in post will be on the Carolinas....my home for the last 11 years and also an interesting place. Via mostly motorcycle there, have seen a lot of interesting sights both North and South. Many of my co-workers from there have little more knowledge of this area than how to get to work and back. They don't know what they are missing; though I do try to get them to get out and check it out. Looking forward to an interesting year ahead!

6 comments:

  1. Funny somehow newbies appreciate Richmond more than longtime residents. I like the Petersburg/Hopewell area myself. Hope you continue to enjoy it here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Paul. I have been pleasantly surprised with all there is to see and do here. To this point (and looks like beyond) certainly not bored here; quite the opposite. Fun to hunt down different things to see. Also would mention fun to see different neighborhoods such as Church Hill for instance. So much of North Carolina has a "Cookie cutter sameness" as far as housing. Richmond has a great deal more variety, and a sense of history that I really enjoy. Charlotte tends to be in a constant state of change; an old building is 10-15 years old and usually due to be demolished!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As always I continue to enjoy your blog and look forward to reading when you post. Thank you for the kind mention and as I have said before, anytime you need info just let me know. I do have a few other places I think you would enjoy seeing around Richmond and a few down here near Petersburg. Just have to convert my gps coordinates to street directions.
    On another note, I so enjoyed Ned and Buzz BBQ. so really good and not like some other places I have tried bbq. I am looking forward to going to North Carolina near Asheville this summer and checking out some of the things you have mentioned. I used to ship parts to Petty,Earnhart and many other race drivers a long time ago so will enjoy seeing where they are down in NC. Enjoy the sights and "snow" and I look forward to the next blog on something I missed here in our hometown. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Always look forward to your suggestions, the Church Hill one was great, and have been there more than once. As to NASCAR (in fact watching the Bud Shootout now) you will find a lot of shops there; about everyone (except Childress who is in Welcome, NC just outside of Winston-Salem..but a nice shop) is in Concord or Mooresville. Hendrick, Roush, and Earnhardt-Ganassi are probably five minutes apart. Hendrick is just past Lowes (still call it that), Roush is at the Concord Airport, and Earnhardt-Ganassi is just down the road from the airport. Hendrick I think has the best museum and best shop access; Roush also very good. The big DEI shop (the one in Mooresville) is cool (heck of a building) but not a lot to see there on display. Mike Waltrip's shop in Mooresville is a heck of a thing to see too.
    Any information/help I can give you feel free to ask.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gypsy:Asheville (aka "The San Fransisco of the East") is a great town. Lots of art, music and good food. Biltmore is a must see, pricy but worth it. There is a lot there; the house, gardens, and the winery. Lots of good (and interesting stores).Belle Chere festival in July packs the town. Funny tip, there is a McDonalds just outside the Biltmore, be sure to stop in.
    Another tip; 23 miles from there (depending on your time) is Chimney Rock. Nice town, Lake Lure is a remarkable sight; part of Dirty Dancing was filmed there, and all of the movie Last of the Mohicans. One of the HGTV houses is there too. Boat Tour of the lake is cheap, and worth the ride.
    Be sure to tell me about your trip, I am looking forward to hearing about it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have on my "bucket list" the Biltmore for sure. I cant remember and havent been able to locate which journal of mine that I wrote what I wanted to see there specifically but I know I will enjoy it all. I keep thinking it has something to do with the basement or a room down there for a daughter. I have wrote down all of your suggestions and cant wait to check them all out. I am coordinating them with my geocaching caches too. Thanks so much. Keep on blogging. you never know what cool things will show up !

    ReplyDelete

Late Winter Update (February 18, 2024)

February has been an interesting month here in Central Ohio. Seen some visiting birds, and some fantastic regular residents here at the lake...