Sunday, January 31, 2010

Once More...with Feeling

Interesting perspective on the weekend snow storm; experienced this one in Concord, NC. There we got 1-3 inches basically (and according to my wife Patty, it is melting quite quick today), and was nothing more than a minor problem. Well, except for driving. This is I-85 just outside of Salisbury, NC where traffic came to a halt for about an hour on Sunday January 31, 2010 as I came back from the Friday-Sunday visit there. Got out and wandered around with some others; met some interesting people (including a truck driver hauling a load to New Jersey) while we waited for the mess ahead to clear. In fact, it was a pretty epic drive back to Richmond, Va. Saw quite a few crashes (and aftermath of earlier crashes) along the 280 mile way from my house to the apartment in Richmond, VA. The roads were in better shape than I expected, actually left a bit early; figuring that doing the drive back Monday morning with rush hour and 15 degree AM temperatures was NOT a good idea, Like adventure, and certainly got my share with that drive today.
Back to Richmond, and took this photo near the apartment. Looks to me like we got a lot more snow than the December experience; and the roads were just as rough if not rougher (though the highways at least in the late afternoon were fine for the most part). Saw a lot of VDOT crews out salting and scraping. Bad thing is that there is more possible on Tuesday and also over the upcoming weekend apparently. While I enjoyed the X-games on tv this weekend (TV was a big part of the weekend, most of NC shuts down when the first flakes of snow hit the streets) not a big fan of winter. My motorcycling experience was a visit to Davis Harley-Davidson and Burlington Yamaha on Friday on the way down to Carolina, and starting my bike for a while before heading back to Richmond today. Strangely I did not see any motorcycles on the road today. I can say that because one winter in Louisville, Kentucky right after a massive snowfall (and with snow on the roads) saw a wreck on I-65 caused by a guy on a Triumph motorcycle who had crashed in the snow and piled up some cars behind him. No one ever said motorcyclists were a totally sane bunch (but we do have a good time!). However, today was a day for driving in the car, and I have but three words for you all....All Season Radials. Believe me, I am a huge fan after the last storm, and especially after today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Barber Motorsports Museum, Birmingham, Alabama (April 26, 2024)

If you are into motorcycles and some amazing cars, this is your museum. Literally the largest motorcycle museum in the world with over 1100 ...