Saturday, January 23, 2010

In Search of Moe's

So shoot me....found this week from a co-worker that Moe's Southwest Grill was in Richmond, Va. That is a favorite of mine in North Carolina and so was eager to find it. Got the address, wandered out on Three Chopt Road, and had a fine lunch! I also liked the area I was exploring. On the way back sort of wandered a bit (as I am prone to do that) and came across Carytown. Again, had heard about it, but really enjoyed exploring some of the shops there. Traffic was somewhat brutal, but it was very interesting to see what all it had to offer. Some really nice shops there and will be back in the near future, my wife will eat that place up!

Found myself near the Boulevard, and figured I would go by Maymont Park. I had found that location during last month's self guided tour of Tacky Lights (which was remarkable as well!). Maymont was remarkable; even in the winter. Gardens were not much to see this time of year, but the big house was neat, has a nice area with animals (to be checked out on a future visit) and liked the collection of carrages in the area of this building (silo...whatever, but its cool!). Nice park and like with Carytown...I shall return. Picked a good day to check it out, being cool and winter-like there was not a great many people there.
I ended up at Shockoe Bottom, and then headed on out Main Street. Way out on Main Street, something like 14-20 miles out past Rocketts Landing (to be checked out later). Saw a sign for the Richmond National Battlefield, Ft. Harrison. Went by there and again was amazed. Seen quite a few of the "earthwork forts" of the Civil War, but this one was huge! Started by the Confederates but changed ownership in 1864 and the Union Army more than doubled it. Took a cool walk there (about 1/3 of a mile) around it. Visitor center is closed (probably due to the economy) but lots of signs and information. There were also a few smaller forts along the road to it. Just up the road from the fort was Malvern Hill, which was a huge early Civil War battle, but darkness was falling, and I headed back the way I came to Richmond, and then back to the apartment.
I have been here for a year, and it still amazes me how on a drive to find a favorite place to eat that I can still find so much of interest in a day. Richmond is a most remarkable place indeed!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Barber Motorsports Museum, Birmingham, Alabama (April 26, 2024)

If you are into motorcycles and some amazing cars, this is your museum. Literally the largest motorcycle museum in the world with over 1100 ...