Monday, December 30, 2013

Over Southern Indiana (December 27, 2013)

 First off I put a few photos on my Flickr photo page, there is a link to that page here. Got to fly with my cousin Mike over Southern Indiana, and that is one of the photos at left. Was a beautiful day for a flight and due to who the pilot was, it was a very special day.
We flew in a Cessna 172 which he flew down from Ohio and we then bopped around the Floyd Knob area. Flew over my grandfathers house (both of our grandparents have passed on) but it was cool to see it, and I got a good photo of it. It was a real cool experience.
 We went from Floyd Knobs to Madison,  Indiana (having taken off from Clark County Airport near Sellersburg, Indiana) and I got this photo of Madison and the Ohio River.
Tough to fly in the Louisville area, as the big airport there -Standiford Field- has a lot of traffic due to the UPS hub there and it is a pretty restricted area due to that. Flying around Southern Indiana though was a real blast, and I was real happy to be up in the air again. Flying and motorcycling are two things I really enjoy, but only riding is something that I was able to get into myself. Still though, love to fly and these were some amazing sights.
Took this looking out the front window of the plane, nice view heading forward. It was a smooth flight and for sure gives a real different view of where you live.
Flights are usually not too bad, and for those who dont have cousins who are pilots, for a small fee pilots will take you up and show you what the birds see (though at a much faster speed than birds can fly).
It was just a lot of fun to check out the sights and to see some places from above. I miss doing that, and enjoyed this a great deal.    
This was a quarry just outside of the Clark County Airport (as you can see in the upper right the flaps are down as we are coming in for a landing. Made two takeoff and landings, one each both at Clark County Airport and one each at the Madison Airport. Had never flown from the Madison Airport but had been there a few times when I used to go to the Regatta there (for the Hydroplane races).
As I said a remarkable experience, and a lot of memories to keep for a long long time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Brit Floyd (May 17, 2024)

Went with friends last night to the Brit Floyd concert at The Rose in Huber Heights. Was a wonderful concert, the band was fantastic. Sure, ...