Saturday, December 3, 2011

Tacky (and Not So Tacky Lights)...Part 1

 Got out after an afternoon of shopping (ugh, but did have good luck out getting gifts) to check out some of the Christmas lights of Richmond. Using the Tacky Lights Tour info at Richmond.com I was able to see some really remarkable sights tonight. This tree is at 7854 Jahnke Road and is really a remarkable sight. You don't see trees done like this in Louisville, Kentucky or Charlotte, NC...this type is (apparently) a unique sort of Richmond take. I have seen a few like this, but this is the best example of the type I have seen over the last few years that I have been in this city. 
 Saw this house from across a lake, so not sure where it is located street wise...but it is very near the amazing houses at 9606 Asbury Court (which will be coming into your view next). I love this house though, for one thing blue is the perfect Christmas color to me (or at least one of my favorites) and I love the way it was reflected off of the lake as well. Tacky Light Tour happens in all sorts of weather, for this December 3 night it could not have been better...clear skies and close to 50 degrees. Good night to get out, wander around and see some amazing houses. I am sure a lot of work went into this one. 
 However for sheer hard work, for maximum impact, for total visual overload-here is Christmas with a sledgehammer! The two houses on Asbury Court, just off of Patterson Avenue (and just in Henrico County) are nothing short of remarkable. Limos, tour buses, and many people who drove by or walked up as I did marveled at the sights of these houses. Fun to just spend a lot of time (and I did) checking out the sights at these side by side houses. You could spend hours checking out all the items that you would find there. A favorite yearly visit to these houses is a major part of my Christmas season in Richmond.
Had to make a stop at The Jefferson Hotel. I posted a photo of this area just a few posts ago (in late November) but this is the Christmas tree there. I am told it is a popular place for Richmond to stop in and check out this area. The Jefferson is certainly a beautiful hotel, and a very old one at that. It was brought back from the dead a few years ago, and it is just a remarkable sight over the holidays.
There was a private party going on, so did not get to see it real close up, but there are a few more weeks till the holiday is over, and sure I will get another chance. The big staircase there is also a remarkable thing to check out, as I noted the place has a lot of history.
Downtown Richmond had a lot of decorations. I am planning to take a drive soon down Monument Avenue, that should be something to see and I am looking forward to checking that out. So much to see and so little time!

  Finally, I did make it out to the James Center. I like that area during the holidays-The Grand Illumination was just Friday night, and like how the buildings are lined out in white (the skyline is striking from I-95) and there are a lot of things to see in the center as well as a really nice tree there, as well as carriage rides, and just a lot of people taking it all in. I also enjoyed a electric train layout-fun to see the trains running in there, nothing reminds me off Christmas past like train sets. If you are a boy you probably had one way back when.
Anyhow, a typically great night of Christmas lights-for it is the season after all, and tomorrow night looks like another good night to get out and check out how Richmond does the holiday season!  




No comments:

Post a Comment

Barber Motorsports Museum, Birmingham, Alabama (April 26, 2024)

If you are into motorcycles and some amazing cars, this is your museum. Literally the largest motorcycle museum in the world with over 1100 ...