Sunday, December 4, 2011

Tacky (and Not So Tacky Lights)...Part 2

Took a Sunday drive to see more Tacky Lights, and enjoyed again some of the wonderful lights done by the residents of Richmond and the surrounding areas. This house for instance is very fine, and is not part of the "Official" houses of the Tacky Light Tour, but is typical of many that I came across during my travels this December 4 evening.
Amazes me (I do a bit of decorating myself to my home in North Carolina) to consider the amount of work that does into these houses, not to mention the cost of the materials as well as the monthly payments to Dominion Power that displays like this have to cost.

This house is on the Tacky Light Tour, and is located at 8009 Summerbrooke Ct which is just off Hull Street Road. It is one of my favorites over the years that I have been here, and I always get a smile when I see this place. Many people also came to walk up and stare at wonder at the house. It takes a considerable amount of time to take it all in-there is so much to see! Not just the front yard is covered with lights and light displays, the back yard as you will see in the photo below also has a number of amazing light displays.
As much fun as it is to see the houses, it is often even more fun to see the people looking at them.
As I promised, this is the back yard of the house at 8009 Summerbrooke Ct. The owner of the house came out and informed us that the tree seen here alone has more than 200,000 lights. He said that it takes his family and himself some seven weeks to get it all in place and hooked up. I did not ask him what his electric bill was, but I am sure it would be most impressive.
Blessed with some great weather over the past two days, I have really enjoyed the Tacky Light Tour. I hope before the holiday is over to see even more of it, as it covers most of the city and surrounding areas it would be quite a task to see all of the houses in the area. There are also some other light displays that I would like to see over the holiday-or during holidays to come. After all, I will be in Richmond for a while longer and a few more seasons to come.
Coming up in my next post though, will be some photos and stories of some places in North Carolina-living in two worlds as is my lot, I get to show some different views of what they do in the Charlotte area, and will be bringing that soon. It is a very neat thing to be able to enjoy Christmas from two different cities in two different states.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Barber Motorsports Museum, Birmingham, Alabama (April 26, 2024)

If you are into motorcycles and some amazing cars, this is your museum. Literally the largest motorcycle museum in the world with over 1100 ...