Sunday, June 18, 2017

National Museum of the Marine Corps (June 17, 2017)

 I did not expect to do this, but as I was in the area due to traffic congestion on I-95 got off and visited the National Museum of the Marine Corps. I have been past it a few times and have always wanted to drop in but have not ever been able to.
I left the aviation museum early (which was the subject of my previous post) so had the time to visit the museum. It is located at 18900 Jefferson Davis Highway and admission is free.It is open every day except Christmas Day from 9:00 Am to 5Pm.
 There are a lot of amazing items to be seen in there. For instance this at left is the second flag raised at Iwo Jima during the second world war. This is the actual flag which was in the photo just to the left of the flag photo taken on February 23, 1945 on Mt. Suribachi.
There are a lot of amazing items from the history of the USMC to be seen in the museum. Items date from the earliest days of the Marines to current event items. It is a really good museum if you are interested in history or in the story of the US Marines.
I was especially interested in the Vietnam section and there were a number of items of interest to me there including this captured Russian made artillery piece which was the largest weapon captured during the war
As probably everyone has noticed who follows this blog I really enjoy aviation and aviation history and there are a number of interesting aircraft to see in the museum. I enjoyed those a great deal as well.
This was my first visit to the museum but it will certainly not be my last.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Barber Motorsports Museum, Birmingham, Alabama (April 26, 2024)

If you are into motorcycles and some amazing cars, this is your museum. Literally the largest motorcycle museum in the world with over 1100 ...