Saturday, August 1, 2015

At the Dragon Boat Races (August 1, 2015)

 Went to the Dragon Boat Races held at Rockett's Landing in Richmond, Virginia on August 1. Event has been held for six years, this is my second to go. Had a very good crowd at the event as you can see in the photo I took at left, and there was a lot of things to see and do. In addition to the races there was food, beverages, dancing, and some really good music on some very loud sound systems.
It was a hot day but not real humid and this event is held at a very beautiful place. I was very glad I went and actually think this will be an annual event for me.  
The racing is of a type that I used to see when I was in the Navy and stationed in Thailand. It is sort of a cross between olympic boat races and the movie Ben Hur in that there is a drummer at the front to keep time.
There were a lot of teams there and they were really excited. It does look like a lot of fun and teams were made up of both men and women which I thought was cool.
This was part of a motorcycle ride today (as it turned out a big part) and I have some more photos on my Racing with the Wind blog.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Brit Floyd (May 17, 2024)

Went with friends last night to the Brit Floyd concert at The Rose in Huber Heights. Was a wonderful concert, the band was fantastic. Sure, ...