Sunday, July 19, 2015

Richmond Railway Museum (July 18, 2015)

 Interesting Saturday during the motorcycle ride, as I went to some local places. One of note was the Richmond Railway Museum.
The museum used to be an active train station. I believe it was replaced for the most part by the one now in Shockoe Bottom (the Main Street Station) though I did overhear that the station was in use until around 1955.
One thing of note in there was they had a very large model train layout and it was very cool. This is just a very small portion, as it was an open house was very hard to get around it but I did get to see a lot of it, was cool.    
They dont have a huge collection of rolling freight but did have this steam engine and a few other cars.
My favorite train museum is the NC Transportation Museum in Spencer, North Carolina..that is one amazing place. I am sure there are better ones than that, but not that I have ever seen. If you are ever in the area that is worth a stop. That museum also has a lot of cars, other transportation items and even some aircraft. Another big plus in Spencer is that they have train rides there which is a lot of fun.  
However I enjoyed the visit to the Richmond Railway Museum which is located on Hull Street very close to downtown (in the Manchester area of Richmond). . If you are in the area it is well worth a stop, I enjoy visiting the Manchester area and this was a very worthwhile and for that matter new addition for me.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Barber Motorsports Museum, Birmingham, Alabama (April 26, 2024)

If you are into motorcycles and some amazing cars, this is your museum. Literally the largest motorcycle museum in the world with over 1100 ...