Monday, October 24, 2011

More from October 22, 2011

Had some problems with the previous post, so here are some more photos. I mentioned Aluminaut at the Virginia Science Center, here you can see it. One of the great deep diving submarines, it was used to explore the deeper parts of the oceans. This display is open at one end so you can look inside the submarine. As I noted in the previous post, it is a very fine museum, and is located on Broad Street. As I also noted went there to see the Air And Space Museum (in Washington, DC) space suit display, and that you can see a photo of on my previous post. I had a good time there on a very fine fall day in Richmond, but there was more.
I went to the Chesterfield County Airport to see the planes from the Collins Foundation. Not often you can see history fly, and these were some rare and flying aircraft. There was a P-51C fighter, a Consolidated B-24 and a Boeing B-17. Those planes were some of the major planes for the United States during WWII against Germany, and in fact the types were also used against Japan. Very few flying examples exist today out of the many thousands that were built during the war years. Most of them were scrapped at the end of the war, and in fact propeller planes were obsolete due to the jets which came on scene near the end of the war.
In previous post I mentioned the car/bike show I came across on West Broad Street, here you can see one of the cars there. I have a few more photos on my Photo Page, of what turned out to be a very interesting day. Often I find out about events in the area via the Richmond Times web site, or Richmond.com but in this case I was driving and just came across this event. Glad I did there were some remarkable things to see. I also made a visit during the day to the Virginia War Memorial which now has a very interesting museum (opened last year I am told) with some really unique items to check out there. It was a very fun day, and I enjoyed it a great deal!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Brit Floyd (May 17, 2024)

Went with friends last night to the Brit Floyd concert at The Rose in Huber Heights. Was a wonderful concert, the band was fantastic. Sure, ...