Sunday, October 16, 2011

Views from the Motorcycle (October 16, 2011)

Well, the photo from left was part of the motorcycle ride, it is the Union County Courthouse in Monroe, NC. I had not been on the motorcycle (other than a short ride to bring it home from the shop three weeks ago) and this was my first real ride on a warm Sunny Sunday this October 16. Like riding to Monroe, its a neat Carolina city-something like 32,000 live there. An old downtown with some really neat houses, and there will be an air show there November 4-6 at the Monroe Airport. The courthouse seen here was built in 1886 and is a very beautiful building. I enjoy seeing these old places, and to be honest there are very few places that old in Charlotte-or even near that old. Some of the outlying towns and cities though have kept and restored some of the old historic buildings and even re-use a great many of them for other purposes. Textile Mills seems to be very popular as office buildings and condos for instance. Concord has a fairly old racetrack, which got a lot of activity this weekend- the Bank of America 500 was run this weekend, watched that on tv, but could hear the cars from my back deck at the house.
As for this sight, this was prior to the ride, took this photo of the Dinwiddie County Airport. I was told fuel was cheaper in Dinwiddie than in Richmond (and it was!) and before heading back down the road, I stopped for a quick visit at the airport (though I have been there before). A while back there was a C-130 there, but that now has been moved to its new home at Ft. Lee. Nice airport though-this terminal I learned (from the web site) was built in 2002. The airport was started around World War II and I suppose the site was given to the county at the end of the war, It has been greatly improved since then. The airport is located at I-85 and Rt 460 in Dinwiddie.
In addition to the ride to Monroe, I also rode to Charlotte. I love going to Charlotte, there is a great deal to see and do there. In fact I will be back over the Halloween weekend-On Saturday October 29, a number of Charlotte Museums and other places of interest will be free to explore. It is part of the Wells Fargo Community Day in Charlotte, NC, and there will be other events as well. Of course also going on is Occupy Charlotte-as that is the home to many banks including Bank of America which has its Headquarters there (that is the big building in the center of this photo). Politics aside (though the Democratic National Convention will be held in Charlotte, next year), the city has a lot to offer and is a very interesting place. My ride today covered some 80 miles over 2.5 hours and also took me past North Davidson (the art district of Charlotte, aka "NoDa") and into University City (the home of UNCC). I enjoyed it a great deal, it felt good to have my "knees in the breeze" once again after a long down period to get the motorcycle repaired, and also due to some rainy weather. Neither was a problem today.
After a great weekend at home, back in Richmond as I write this, and looking forward to an interesting week. Missed (again) the Richmond Folk Festival, but will get that in hopefully in the next year. Have enjoyed many fun musical events the last few weeks in Richmond, and I am sure there will be more to come. Blessed to get to spend time in two very interesting states with a number of very interesting cities.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Brit Floyd (May 17, 2024)

Went with friends last night to the Brit Floyd concert at The Rose in Huber Heights. Was a wonderful concert, the band was fantastic. Sure, ...