Monday, December 13, 2010

Very Late Fall Virginia Wonderland (December 13, 2010)

Headed back to Virginia after a great weekend with my family at home (see previous post for photos). The night before we got a very light dusting of snow, not even enough to measure. Did get some word though that things were a "bit" different in Virginia. Took this photo on I-85 across the Virginia line. There was no snow to speak of in North Carolina, but not far into Virginia I started to come across sights such as these. At first the snow was very light, gradually becoming heavier as I got deeper into the state. The roads (thankfully) were fine, though wet they had no ice or snow due to VDOT cleaning them, traffic and the temperature.
Took this photo at the rest stop in Dinwiddie, VA which made for a good late fall (keep wanting to say winter, but a few days away from that official event) snow storm photo. Snow is quite pretty to check out, and I do enjoy seeing it, but I do hate to drive in it, though thankfully this day was nothing to worry about. I was able to enjoy it without worry about damage to the car, others, or myself during my journey. Snow is to be expected this time of year, so not a total surprise. We don't get a great deal of snow in Carolina, though it does happen from time to time, but in Virginia it is much more common, and generally in greater amounts.
Last photo was taken pulling into the apartment complex. Getting back to the apartment right about news time found that the area got around 1-2 inches, though some areas were higher. Also, while it did not affect me, did hear on the news this morning that the mountains of North Carolina did get a substantial snowstorm which made even this one look like nothing. All this was the bottom end of a major snow storm which smashed into the mid-west this weekend so it could have been a whole lot worse than this. This one we can admire the beautiful view of the white coated world, and wait to see what the next few days bring to us..for more is said to be on the wat later this week!

2 comments:

  1. Just wanted to stop in and wish you and your family a very Merry Christmas to one of my favorite bloggers ! I have enjoyed reading each and every one of your blogs and hope you continue with the stories and pictures. I will be heading down to the Smokies this week to ride the Polar Express with my grandson and on the way I hope to check out some of the things you write about especially the planes and the race cars. Perrin will love it as boys always love planes trains and automobiles LOL.
    Anyways I wish you all many blessings this holiday and good health and prosperity in the New Year !
    Linda and family aka gypsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was so nice Linda (aka Gypsy) made my day! Hope you have a great time in the mountains, that is a remarkable place, love the Blue Ridge Parkway, and the Smokies too. Hope you have a fantastic time, and a great 2011 as well. I will be back in Richmond in a few days, and while I have had a blast here at home, also enjoy time in my "home away from home" in that very fine and fun city. Thanks for your post!

    ReplyDelete

Brit Floyd (May 17, 2024)

Went with friends last night to the Brit Floyd concert at The Rose in Huber Heights. Was a wonderful concert, the band was fantastic. Sure, ...