Sunday, April 25, 2010

The Slip and the Bottom (April 24, 2010)

An overcast Saturday in Richmond, problems with the internet (went down Friday night, fixed by Comcast on Sunday morning...thanks to the tech who came by early) gave me the inspiration to get out and do a little exploring. Had a great time, and put more photos on my photo page besides these. Got into Richmond via the Midlothian Turnpike...just roll up that and it goes straight into Shockoe Bottom. This is the view of the bridge which crosses the James River going in; also from what I saw it was a very popular fishing spot. I like rolling to town via the Midlothian Turnpike, its an interesting drive that way.
Took this photo at Shockoe Slip. Like to get out and walk, and there are many interesting things to see there. Good places to get a bite to eat, some liquid refreshment (think the famous blogger of "Jack Goes Forth" works there someplace) and a lot of history to check out. I liked the cobblestone streets in the Shockoe Slip section (which adjoins Shockoe Bottom) and also the old buildings which are there. Seemed on Saturday to be a lot of tourists around town, as many people were getting help with directions. I myself (though have only been here for a year and a couple of months) was able to help a runner find Canal Street...made me feel good!

Richbrau was a local brew pub, which from what I read had been open for some 17 years. Unfortunately I never got the chance to check out its beers, as it closed earlier this year.
In addition to the Shockoe Bottom/Shockoe Slip walk, got out and wandered around the Capital grounds, and the downtown area near there. Actually rolled in the car as far as The Boulevard making a stop at Velocity Motorcycles (if you are into motorcycles, that is a great shop to visit) and down always impressive Monument Avenue before heading back to the apartment. Everytime I go into Richmond I see something new and interesting, its a fun town to explore and to this date I have yet to be bored with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Brit Floyd (May 17, 2024)

Went with friends last night to the Brit Floyd concert at The Rose in Huber Heights. Was a wonderful concert, the band was fantastic. Sure, ...