Saturday, April 10, 2010

Colonial Williamsburg

Took my show on the road (as if I don't get in enough driving) but a worthwhile road trip in Virginia today. First stop was at Colonial Williamsburg which is just up I-64 from Richmond. Williamsburg was the original capital of Virginia, and the "Colonial" section of the town is a recreation of what life would have been like in Williamsburg of the period. The journey was suggested by a friend of mine at work, who knows I am a history buff and figured I would enjoy it a great deal. He was absolutely correct in that regard. Was a great day under blue skies and with 70 degree temperatures for a nice walk, and this was a nice place to walk around.
Photo at left is of the "Governors Palace" which is one of the larger buildings in the area. As I understand, many of the recreations are on the original foundations of what was there "back in the day". There is a lot of attention to detail, including many who portray from the era on the site , and that ads a nice touch. It was a very beautiful area to explore and I enjoyed the walk to see what they had to offer. It is certainly not perfect, and maybe a bit commercial in places, but it was a great deal of fun. It helped to make history come alive of an era that at least in my old part of the world gets short attention over more modern times in history.
This is one of the many houses, liked this photo both for the house and the look of spring. While in the area also took a walk around nearby William and Mary College. Very pretty campus, and I believe that it is a the second oldest college in North America, which is pretty cool. Only got a quick look at Williamsburg outside of the Colonial Williamsburg part, but it had a great deal to offer. I will be putting more photos on my photo page from this visit, and you can see more of the area there.
While it was a great visit to this area, the day was not over yet...I had more to see!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Brit Floyd (May 17, 2024)

Went with friends last night to the Brit Floyd concert at The Rose in Huber Heights. Was a wonderful concert, the band was fantastic. Sure, ...