Sunday, May 24, 2020

Dayton National Cemetery/Hawthorn Hill (May 24, 2020)


 Interesting motorcycle ride on a sunny and warm Sunday. After the ride yesterday by the late afternoon there were big storms from the heat of the day here. Thankfully, it cleared up and got to get out.
Wanted to pay my respects to those who paid the ultimate price for the defense of freedom, so rode first out to The Dayton National Cemetery. As I read there are some 55,000 buried there and going as far back as the Revolutionary War. I have a photo of one of those grave markers at the bottom of the page. It is a beautiful place and I was very glad that I made the stop there. I like to make visiting the National Cemeteries or War Memorials (as I did while living in Richmond, VA) a habit on Memorial Day or the weekend thereof.
From there, rode a ways out toward my next location. Those who follow me will know I am sort of an Aviation fan, and have never seen the house directly below.   It is Hawthorn Hill which was the home of Orville Wright. Wilbur also planned it but died before the house was completed. Construction began in 1912 and was completed in 1914. Orville lived there with his father and his sister. Orville was the last Wright to live there until his death in 1948.   More photos can be found on my "Racing with the Wind" blog page.
 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Brit Floyd (May 17, 2024)

Went with friends last night to the Brit Floyd concert at The Rose in Huber Heights. Was a wonderful concert, the band was fantastic. Sure, ...