Monday, August 28, 2017

The Journey to Virginia (August 26, 2017)

 Finally had to leave but fantastic memories. Drove from Dayton through the south of the state of Ohio. Peaceful and beautiful drive. Of note saw a hot air balloon, a turkey by the side of the road walking around (and suitable for Thanksgiving) and a C-130 (much like the plane at the museum in the previous post). It was a pleasure being there and fun to ride though. Though sad to leave my girlfriend and Ohio I will be back to see both...and soon.  
This is the West Virginia capital. I think it is amazingly beautiful. Nice dome on top and many monuments on the grounds. Has one monument to Abe Lincoln and even some confederate monuments. Interesting combination and a good idea in my book though in this case the reason for it is simple.
During the Civil War West Virginia split off from Virginia which it was part of and became a new state.
Much of that history can be found on a very fine West Virginia History Museum on the grounds. Though I have stopped there before I had not seen it but took the time this time and was amazed. It is well worth a tour if you are ever in the area and the cost (which is free) can't be beat.
Not just buildings though, West Virginia is a beautiful and interesting state. I have been there a few times with Debbie and have explored many of it is roads. I think its about time to get my motorcycle there as some of the roads are built in my opinion just for riding a motorcycle on.      
 At the Virginia border was close to home though about 100 miles to go from there to Richmond. I saw this sign at the rest area and well...just had to share it with you all.
I do love riding in the state. Close to the mountains, the ocean and many interesting places in between. Richmond is a great deal of fun and has many sights and events to enjoy. I love living here and think its one of the best places I have been in my life.
One final shot from Virginia, here is a view of the Blue Ridge Parkway in the background. In a few few weeks it will be ablaze with fall color and that is a remarkable ride.
Nice to ride the Parkway which is one of my favorite roads and a frequent place to visit in my travels. In fact some great sections can be found in North Carolina where I rode many times while I was living there.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Brit Floyd (May 17, 2024)

Went with friends last night to the Brit Floyd concert at The Rose in Huber Heights. Was a wonderful concert, the band was fantastic. Sure, ...