Monday, May 19, 2014

Yorktown Motorcycle Ride (May 18, 2014)

Took a motorcycle ride to Yorktown, VA...this is my fourth trip there. I really like this area, love the ride there...went again down VA5 which is a great road on two wheels, or four for that matter. Go past a lot of plantations, farms, and many Civil War battlefields.
This photo I took from the York River, many warships from long ago (including the French Navy) have been on it, and so is the case with the US Navy ship (which I believe is a destroyer, but I could be wrong) which I saw during my visit. The road and the sights on the river are both amazing.  
I saw the big monument to to the victory over the British, and have photos of that (and other sights) on my Photo Page and my Racing with the Wind motorcycle blog, but this is a close up of the inscription on the monument (one of the four on it). It is near the Yorktown Battlefield which I have seen on a past visit (as well as Jamestown and Colonial Williamsburg both of which are on the Colonial Parkway). Many things in all those places are very old including a number of items and buildings dating to the 1600's. Just a fantastic place with a lot of things to catch your eye.
 More ships and these you can ride on (for a price) without enlisting. In fact got to see the bigger of the two under sail (at the time though I was enjoying an ice cream cone from Ben and Jerry). All sorts of places to eat and drink, lots of stores to check out and places to walk around and see. There are even beaches to explore and lay around on; and they have sand. Though not on the ocean the crowds get pretty big especially in the summer. Yorktown is around 60 miles closer to Richmond than Virginia Beach. There are also hotels in the area if you want to stay longer than a day. 
This is a view of the beach..part of it anyhow and another view of the area as well as a look at the York River.
As I noted, have been there four times, once by car and three times by motorcycle. If you want a faster way (which I have done a couple of times) there is I-64 which will get there a little quicker than VA5.
One of the great motorcycle rides by the way is VA5 to Jamestown (via the Colonial Parkway) and then to take the ferry which is a blast to VA10 and back to Richmond. That I have done once and is a remarkable ride indeed! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Brit Floyd (May 17, 2024)

Went with friends last night to the Brit Floyd concert at The Rose in Huber Heights. Was a wonderful concert, the band was fantastic. Sure, ...