Sunday, May 4, 2014

Heart of Virginia Festival (May 3, 2014)

 As with the last post, this was another motorcycle ride, this time to Farmville (no joke) Va to the Heart of Virginia festival. I have photos on the photo page, and also on my Racing with the Wind blog, but wanted to put a few here. At the festival was this plane, I thought that was cool. They had a lot of things to see there including a car show, arts and crafts, bands and food (though I ate a Macado's....a chain but one I liked a lot when I lived in Concord, NC).
At any case, it was a very cool place to visit.
This is the courthouse, I love those old courthouses. Lots of very neat buildings to see there, it is a very old town (did some checking and could not find how old) but pre Civil War. In fact it played a rather large role at the end of the war as the Confederates surrendered not far from here. This was the line of retreat from Richmond, VA for the Army of Northern Virginia. So even got a little bit of Civil War history (as I did last week) during the ride...rode my motorcycle down much the same roads as the Confederates and following Union Army took.     
See, there was a festival, and quite a crowd over quite a few blocks. No admission to the festival which is always held the first Saturday in May, so enjoyed that. At any case, very glad I went and plan to go back next year (weather permitting).
As noted the festival is also held on the grounds of Longwood University, which is a very, very nice looking college with a number of old buildings but also a very modern look.
Been a good riding weekend, plan another ride on Sunday, nice after all the rain of the previous week. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Barber Motorsports Museum, Birmingham, Alabama (April 26, 2024)

If you are into motorcycles and some amazing cars, this is your museum. Literally the largest motorcycle museum in the world with over 1100 ...