Saturday, June 1, 2013

Greek Festvial and Ashland, VA (June 1, 2013)

 Another great day (and another hot one, with temperatures that got into the lower 90's) but a good day for the Greek Festival on Malvern Avenue in Richmond, VA. I had not been for a couple of years but had a great time. I went early due to the expected heat and the crowds. As it was, parking was a bit difficult to find, but the food was wonderful and sure was glad I came by this year. It was a beautiful if humid day, not a real great day for walking around much, but a good day to enjoy riding the motorcycle - for that activity it was perfect.   
On I went to nearby Carytown where I stopped at the recently opened (as in late last month) Mellow Mushroom on Cary Street. Did not get anything to drink at the Greek Festival, so stopped in for a beverage there . Mellow Mushroom is one of my favorite pizza places, went to my first one in Asheville, NC (I think it is a small Georgia chain, but won't swear to that) and also on the Louisville trip a few months ago found they now have one (and possibly as I am told, two) in the Derby City. They have some really great pizza, good salads (and a good special at lunch time involving the two) and of course one remarkable and extensive beer list.
As I noted did not eat there, being happy with the gyro and baklava at the festival but will on a future visit. Believe me, there will be a future visit - I have been looking forward to this opening since I was told that it was coming here to the RVA.   
 After the two visits, rode around the city a bit. Got the bike out to Monument Avenue for the first time, in fact I have a photo here of the Vulcan in front of the Jefferson Davis monument there...one of the many along that very fine street. Not just for the monuments but also the houses, Monument Avenue is named one of the most beautiful streets in America...and is certainly is. One of my favorite streets, especially during Christmas time
Had a good time running around Richmond, but soon headed out on I-95 toward Ashland, VA. I think its about 16 miles or so from Richmond, and a good ride. Traffic was a bit heavy, not a big fan of highways on the motorcycle, yet the Vulcan is quite good at highway speeds and it is the fastest way between point A and B. I am just one big fan of two lane country roads as I find them more scenic and probably a bit more safe (though that may just be a perception I have).
 Ended up in Ashland, I was there a few months ago (last fall I believe). Stopped for a beverage at IronHorse....which was a very nice place with a very friendly wait staff. I enjoyed my visit, and wandered around a little bit seeing some of the nearby sights. Being a railroad town, there are a pair of tracks that run down the main street of town. I will post some more photos on my Photo Page from the visit, but it is a most interesting place.
As noted above did ride back via VA 1 which was the "Washington Highway" there, but is called the "Jeff Davis Highway" in Richmond.     
Very scenic drive down 1, lots of neat sights and a bit more sedate...at one point got a little lost but ended up at Richmond International Raceway. They were having a music event there (have something going on there most of the time, even a NASCAR race now and then) but the guy at the gate let me get a bit closer to get a photo, then I rode back. Was once again able to get back on 1, and rode that back into Richmond. Neat that I have driven on it often, but saw parts of it today that I had never seen, or been on before. Will not be my last time to explore this, as well as other roads in the area during my time here. Lots of fun doing that.
Tomorrow I am going to the Broad Appitit Festival in downtown Richmond, will not be riding the motorcycle then, but will be posting photos from that food event here. Sure is a great weekend to eat in Richmond, but most of time it is...this is a city that loves to eat!    

No comments:

Post a Comment

Barber Motorsports Museum, Birmingham, Alabama (April 26, 2024)

If you are into motorcycles and some amazing cars, this is your museum. Literally the largest motorcycle museum in the world with over 1100 ...