Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Back to Yorktown (May 14, 2013)

 Interesting day today, made a return trip via my motorcycle to Yorktown, VA. Last time I went to Colonial Williamsburg, Yorktown battlefield and Jamestown during an all day car trip. This time, I took a ride on the Vulcan. Wanted to get out and check out the sights I saw before such as the Parkway which is one amazing road. I like the York River which is a pretty dramatic sight when you come across it. Just a really great ride along that road, and the York is an amazing sight. As rivers go it is pretty big, in fact a lot of Naval history happened on it over the years.
Yorktown is a very interesting city, for one thing it has (I believe) the shortest distance to any beach from Richmond and some really cool ships that offer rides out on the river. I do think it lacks a few places to eat: think that the area is still in a state of "under development" as far as alot of attractions. Have to say though that visiting the Battlefield (which I did not do this trip due to time constraints) is a really remarkable place to visit. Tourist season is not really underway which made this a real good time to check it out again, and of course the weather in the low 70's was not a good time to hit the water. 
 
 As I noted though, cool things to see and would be possible to get out on ships such as this one which was scheduled for some trips out on the York River. The town itself also has some original and recreated buildings and if you are into history this whole area has enough to satisfy the pickiest history buff.
Getting there from Richmond is easy....just follow the signs from I-95 to I-64 and you will be there in slightly under an hour. I am told that a very scenic trip is to go via Highway 5 which goes by a number of old plantations and follows the James River which I have found is also a great river to explore.     
On the way back, needing fuel made a stop for gas, but also made a stop at the Virginia Aviation Museum, where I posed my motorcycle in front of the museum's SR-71 Blackbird. The Blackbird was one of the most amazing aircraft ever flown by the US Military (and was also flown by the CIA) but is nothing short of remarkable in its performance.
It was a very good day, and I had a great time. Nice to get out of Richmond, not because there is anything wrong with this very fine city, but because Virginia has so much to offer and this is the start of some of my trips being beyond the RVA.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Barber Motorsports Museum, Birmingham, Alabama (April 26, 2024)

If you are into motorcycles and some amazing cars, this is your museum. Literally the largest motorcycle museum in the world with over 1100 ...