Saturday, December 1, 2012

Tacky Lights - Day 1 (December 1, 2012)

On a beautiful Saturday night, Day One of December 2012, got a cup of coffee at "Micky D's" and rolled out to see some of the sights of Tacky Lights. Since I have been in Richmond, I have been doing this, and have to say it is one of my favorite things about being here. I went to a number of places, and this is just a few of my favorite sights from the evening. The houses at right are an amazing pair, owned by two family members. Address of one is 9606 Asbury Court in Richmond. It is one remarkable light show, and one of the most amazing things you can see over the holidays. 
I made a stop at the Jefferson Hotel. I always like to see the big tree at the bottom of the Grand Staircase (and it always seems there is a private party going on down there) but still got a great photo (and a few others during the night) while I was there. Thought this was really cool though, also at the Jefferson. It is a gingerbread train, and it is massive. Last year they had a rather large gingerbread house, but this to me pulled out all of the stops. Just a beautiful and remarkable piece of work, and made for a very nice photo. Not to mention, that it also put a rather huge smile on my face.  

Not really "Tacky Lights" at all, these are some of the light sat the James Center downtown. Before this I took a short ride down Monument Avenue, which like this is also not "Tacky", but really a nice display. Also of note, all the buildings downtown (well, many of them anyhow) are outlined with white lights as well. There was a horn band playing some Christmas tunes, and it was fun to see all the people enjoying the sights and the sounds. There is also a train (model train set, but a nice one) in a nearby building, be sure to check that out. It made for a really nice visit, and I enjoy this yearly as well.

 Finally there was 9716 Wendhurst Drive, in Glen Allen, VA. Oh wow sums this one up just as well as anything else could. Just an amazing sight, and another smile crossed my face seeing this. This is among the many "Tacky Light Houses" that have been featured on national tv shows over the years. I have quite a few photos from tonight on my Photo Page, and there will be more to come, because I will be heading out again tomorrow night to see some more, and again before the lights go out shortly after Christmas. I have said it before, and will say it again...no one does Christmas quite like Richmond.        



2 comments:

  1. Just stopping by to wish you and your family a very Merry Christmas and to tell you how much I enjoy your blog and pics. Even though I live near Richmond, you still amaze me with the things you find. I am so going to take my grandson to see that Gingerbread train on our Tacky Light tour this year. Thank you again and wishing you all the best !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to hear from you, glad you enjoy the blog. I do have a blast in Richmond over Christmas, no place does it like Richmond does. Yeah, the train is at The Jefferson, always a favorite stop. Going out tonight to see some more things. Merry Christmas to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete

Barber Motorsports Museum, Birmingham, Alabama (April 26, 2024)

If you are into motorcycles and some amazing cars, this is your museum. Literally the largest motorcycle museum in the world with over 1100 ...