Sunday, January 8, 2012

Pub Crawl in Church Hill (January 7, 2012)

 A good friend of mine and his girlfriend got one of the old houses in Church Hill, which I consider one of the most interesting and fun areas of Richmond, VA. Nice place with a nice history, I really envy him getting that place. We went out later on a pub crawl, as there are a number of interesting places in the area to explore. This was actually the end stop...Sette which is a pizza place in the Church Hill/Shockoe Bottom area. Nice specials though, and enjoyed the bartender there who was a lot of fun,and the game which was on the TV at the time. Made for a nice final stop for the day. 
This photo gives a good idea of "Hill" part of the Church Hill name, definitely the high county with some great views looking down at the city. Church Hill has some of the oldest and the most interesting buildings in the city, many of them date back to the 1800s if not before. It is a very interesting area to just wander around and explore, in fact I got a big kick out of the gas lights in the area-sure I had seen them but did not know they still worked! As usual in Richmond was pleased with all the nice people you come across, few cities are as friendly as you come across in the Richmond area, and I like that.    
 Speaking of friendly, The Hill Cafe was very friendly, and a nice place to enjoy a few frosty cold beverages (or a glass of wine judging from the selection I saw in there). Nice group of people, one of which had a small dog in a sort of computer case (Richmond is the most dog friendly town I have ever seen, and this again is a wonderful thing). I am told the food here also is pretty good, though did not get to sample it this trip, but I will on a future visit. There are a number of places in Church Hill that are going to be worth checking out,and sure that Tony and Tina will point me in the right directions.

Of course, St. John's Church is the site where Patrick Henry gave his famous "Give me Liberty or Give me Death" speech, plus it is the burial ground of the mother of Edgar Allen Poe and the gravesite of one of the signers of the Declaration of Independence. One of my favorite spots in Richmond and it is right in Church Hill.
Finally , made a stop at Patrick Henry Pub, but they were not yet open when we visited there. Still, they could not have been nicer and I hope to make a future visit there, as it looked to be a very interesting place to spend a few happy hours checking out some of the local beverages in the Richmond area and to meet some of the local people  
 
I had a great time during the short exploration of Church Hill, an area I have visited before and will many time again in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Brit Floyd (May 17, 2024)

Went with friends last night to the Brit Floyd concert at The Rose in Huber Heights. Was a wonderful concert, the band was fantastic. Sure, ...