Sunday, May 1, 2011

Sights around Richmond (April 30)

Did a bit of wandering around Richmond on Saturday April 30. Took a friend from work with me, kind of enjoy showing off the area, and though it was around some places that I have been, it was still a great time. One of the great things about finding places in Richmond is going back to them. For instance this is the Bell Tower in Byrd Park. It was built as a War Memorial for (I believe due to the dates of its construction) World War I. It is a very neat structure and very massive with a lot of very nice detailing. I really enjoy wandering around Byrd Park, it is a very nice and in fact have another photo at the end of this photo section. While there saw a Art Fair (was also told it would go on Sunday) and enjoyed that. Often come across surprises in this town, there is something going on in Richmond virtually all the time if you look for it. Saw lots of really great art, and also it was fun to watch all the people. As always there were quite a few dogs with the people, this is really a dog friendly town and I like that a great deal. Any town that likes dogs is fine with me!
As for dogs and people watching, hard to beat Carytown. Though traffic is something to see (as seen at left) it is a very interesting place. Great variety of places to see, stores to visit, fine places to eat, and often even music and art in the street. Galaxy Diner is one such place. There you can get breakfast all the time (in addition to other meals). Being a motorcycle sort of guy I liked the guy on the Can-Am Spyder Trike also in this photo. Good place to walk on a nice sunny day as this April 30 day was. There are a lot of eye catching places to explore, and I think there is really something for everyone in Carytown. It is one of my favorite areas of the city to be in.
Though I have yet to see a movie there, the Byrd Theater is one classic looking place. In fact it is on both the National and Virginia Historic Registers. It was built for $900,000 ($11 million in today's prices) in 1928. First movies were shown in 1928 for a cost of 25 cents for a matinee, 50 cents for an evening movie. Movies are now $1.25 cents and there are 1300 seats. Named for the founder of Richmond, Virginia, the Byrd has a donated Dolby Sound System which was donated by none other than Ray Dolby! I am looking forward to checking out a movie there, as it is said to be remarkable on the inside with a number of amazing features. Richmond is a town which really protects it's past and I have the feeling the Byrd Theater is a real tribute to the city. In addition to movies, the Byrd is also home to a number of interesting events, and for more information on this place, some photos of the inside, and more on the history of this movie treasure, check out the Byrd Theater website via your favorite search engine. I hope soon to have a few photos myself from an upcoming visit.
Speaking of visits, went to the Virginia History Museum. I don't know how many trips this makes to check out this fine Richmond treasure. it is located on the Boulevard which is not far from Carytown. It was actually my first stop during the day with my friend. Both of us being Civil War buffs, checked out the big Civil War display (plus other items) to be found in the museum. The Statue seen here is a monument to horses from the North and South that were killed in battle during the Civil War. The museum is just a little distance away (easy walkable) from the remarkable Monument Avenue. If it is statues you like Richmond is a great place to check out.
Finally, back to Byrd Park, and this Fountain in the lake found there. Nice place to hang out and check out the beauty in the area. Saw a lot of people fishing there, and quite a few birds as well. One bird I did not see so often were Canadian Geese. Saw a sign that border collies are being used to chase off the birds in the area, while leaving alone the ducks in the area. I can think of no better dog for the job, border collies are among (if not the) smartest dogs out there. Again, the fountain is very beautiful and the lake is a nice place to hang out on a wonderful day. I have a few more photos on my photo page from the day out in Richmond which I hope you enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Brit Floyd (May 17, 2024)

Went with friends last night to the Brit Floyd concert at The Rose in Huber Heights. Was a wonderful concert, the band was fantastic. Sure, ...