Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Combination of the Two

Nice weekend in Carolina started with a dawn drive on February 12. Got to have some coffee, and made a stop at McDonalds on the Midlothian Turnpike where I snapped this photo at left. Liked that one, and enjoy driving in both directions on this road when I am exploring Richmond. Lots of interesting places along the way here, and it is a popular drive for me to either get out of Richmond or into the city. I even do some walking along this road, though its not the best road for walking as there are no sidewalks or good ways to cross it (which brings running into play). For this trip though I was quickly on I-85 after a few minutes on VA 150.

One of my first stops on a trip is South Hill, VA. I tend to stop at the commercial area, though I get the impression that there is a quaint little town just before I get to that areas. I will check it out; like making stops on the way home to see things. Have made some stops at Durham, Burlington (both in NC) and also have made stops in Virginia at the Dinwittie Airport as well as a couple of stops in Old Petersburg. All have been really interesting; I figure if you have to travel you might as well see some interesting sights along the way, and nice to take a few minutes to get out and see something besides the normal "rest stops".
Had a great two days in Concord with my family, and it is always a joy to be there. It is also nice to see some favorite places such as Punchy's Diner seen here. Patty and I had breakfast there; the food is great and prices are reasonable. They also have some cars, motorcycles, jukeboxes and other items on display inside the restaurant. Displaying cars, etc seems to be a Carolina thing; there are a few restaurants that do that. Timing was good for this photo, a few minutes after I took this, the place filled up with barely an empty seat. I would like to think that it was because Patty and I were there, but I doubt that was the reason.
Got in a motorcycle ride on the 13th; just a short one on a very fine day in Carolina. Made a stop at the Concord Regional Airport which is the 4th or 5th (I forget) busiest in North Carolina. Like to watch planes take off and land, as I am a huge fan of aviation (and once even worked in the industry which was really cool). A father and his two sons were watching with me, that brought back some good memories of doing the same thing with my Dad many years ago. I have been fond of planes as long as I can remember; even longer than my passion for motorcycles. Airports are always interesting places, even the smaller ones. In fact Charlotte-Douglas International Airport has a great viewing area where you can watch the big jets take off from that very busy airport. I am sure I will take a ride out there sometime later this year. Like with Richmond International Airport they also have a very nice aviation museum there. They are planning to display the airliner which landed in the Hudson River a year or so ago, that will be pretty cool. They also have an extensive collection of other interesting aircraft.
Near the airport are a number of race shops; Earnhardt-Ganassi, Roush-Fenway, Hendrick Motorsports and Petty are all near the Concord airport. Many of the teams have aircraft based at the airport; they drive the cars and tools, but fly the drivers and teams to race sites. Just about time for NASCAR to crank it up for another year, and that will be a big deal in both Concord, NC and in Richmond again this year.
Made a short stop at Suck Bang Blow (which is getting to be my favorite beverage stop in Concord, NC) though as I was on the bike made it a short visit. Rest of the day had a great visit with the family, and I enjoyed a fine day and night with Patty, before heading out on a warm but windy Valentines Day for Richmond. Ah, the life of a migrant American factory worker...but lots of interesting things to see here, and looking forward to a great weekend here in the River City.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Brit Floyd (May 17, 2024)

Went with friends last night to the Brit Floyd concert at The Rose in Huber Heights. Was a wonderful concert, the band was fantastic. Sure, ...