Saturday, September 4, 2010

The Durham Bulls (September 3, 2010)

Thought this was a cool stop. On the way to North Carolina from Richmond on September 3, 2010, stopped at Durham, NC. Saw the sign for the "Historic Baseball Field" and came to the home of the "Durham Bulls" and as we remember that was the field where the movie "Bull Durham" was filmed. Course I am told that field was torn down some years ago, but I think this was the bull from that field (and that movie) which is the batter hit he got a free steak!!! Nice to check out that ball park, I like baseball, and thought this was a really nice field. That was also a great movie (Bull Durham) which along with "Field of Dreams", and "For the Love of the Game" are some of the best baseball movies out there.
This is the view of the field from the upper section looking down. Not sure when the built this, but a fine looking ball park. I am a big fan of minor league baseball, as it tends to be a really good value, and a good time. Richmond has a new minor league team, which unfortunately I have missed this year, but will check out next year. Was not a great time to do that work wise, and also was a brutally hot summer in 2010. Hopefully, it will be better in 2011 as far as the weather. Photo at bottom is "American Tobacco" which I assume was once a tobacco factory, but is now a collection of stores and shops. I liked my very short visit to Durham, NC...told it is a very fun and interesting city, and from what I saw during my short stop certainly deserves a closer look in future visits to the area.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Barber Motorsports Museum, Birmingham, Alabama (April 26, 2024)

If you are into motorcycles and some amazing cars, this is your museum. Literally the largest motorcycle museum in the world with over 1100 ...