Saturday, May 8, 2010

VMFA, VHA, and Maymont Park (May 8, 2010)

Nice morning/early afternoon in Richmond, and turned out to be a most remarkable day. Made a trip out to the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts, which I had been hearing about. Its on the Boulevard real close to Monument Avenue and right next to the Virginia History Museum. The building that houses it is remarkable, and is a real feast for the eyes both inside and outside. I was amazingly impressed with the building, which is a real joy to walk though. It is a big complex with a lot of displays and quite a lot to see. Admission (for the VMFA and also for the nearby Virginia History Museum is free by the way though parking can cost you.

What makes it something to see though are the works inside the museum. For instance here you see some wall art from Egyptian tombs, and in front laying flat tiles from a Syrian house dating to 1 or 2 AD. To say I was dazzled is not to make an understatement. If you are a fan of art, and that would cover virtually all types, or just looking some something unique and different this is THE place to go. I am sure that there will be something, if not many things, that would capture your attention. This is a great addition to the Richmond area and a very fine museum..period. I will be back again to visit before my time in Richmond ends.

I like museums...and one of my favorites is the Virginia History Museum. Its right next door, and as I already noted, is also free to visit. One of the things that are featured in the museum is a display of WWII photos; and they were remarkable. Those who have been reading my post know I am a motorcycle guy, and really liked this WWII era WLA Harley-Davidson, but also enjoyed the art work, as well as the many displays featured at the museum. Both the VMFA and the Virginia History Museum make for a really good "double feature" for a visit, and a fun combination when heading downtown. Again there is something there for everyone.
Finally, ended my visit to Richmond today with a trip to Maymont Park. It was my second visit, but sure was beautiful in the Spring (last visit was in the winter) and the flowers were remarkable. I also for the first time checked out the small zoo there, and thought that was really cool. Got to see the vultures eat (they eat meat and sort of bark like a dog...I never knew that) and they had a number of interesting birds such as this Owl, Hawks, and even a Bald Eagle. They also have bears, foxes and other wild animals on display. It is truly a Richmond treasure!
More photos are posted on my photo page, and I hope you enjoy them as much as I enjoyed my day in Richmond. It has been a remarkable one, but in many ways, another one of many!

2 comments:

  1. I was planning on heading to VMFA tomorrow with my daughter so am glad you posted this today. I always love going there and cant wait to see the new things. Maymont is a true Richmond Treasure. Wish I had told you to stop at Sally Belles for one of their fine box lunches to take to maymont with you. But hope you will try it one day. Thanks for the pics too. I always enjoy what you have written and the pics esp. Have a great weekend

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Gypsy. Yeah....that is a fine museum, I actually hated to leave it. Note; some road construction in the area of the Boulevard near the museum, be on the watch for that (think it shifts traffic to the right lane).
    Will check on the Sally Belles for the next visit to Maymont. Other than the breeze, could not have asked for a finer day today. Cooler tomorrow, but still nice.

    ReplyDelete

Brit Floyd (May 17, 2024)

Went with friends last night to the Brit Floyd concert at The Rose in Huber Heights. Was a wonderful concert, the band was fantastic. Sure, ...