Saturday, May 22, 2010

Forest Hill Park (May 22, 2010)

I heard about Forest Hill Park from a friend who had found it; said it was really something to see. I also read an article in the newspaper that said they were going to rededicate the lake today, so figured it was a good day to get out and check it out. It is not far from my apartment, a short easy drive to the park the entrance of which is seen here. That sign is a reproduction of the original sign at the park which was established in 1934. The land was originally owned by William Byrd III (a name I have seen around Richmond) from land holdings he had in the late 1700's. The park covers some 105 acres, and I really enjoyed taking a walk around the grounds.

The Stone House dates to 1843 and was part of the estate back then. Enjoyed walking around the park, and actually went on some of the trails. A creek with some very large rocks was back there, some stone walks in the very dog friendly park, and got to meet a lot of friendly people out walking around. Richmond does seem to like to say hello, and I enjoy that a great deal. Some of the walks were pretty rugged but getting out was great and enjoyed the remarkable scenery along the way. There are a lot of places for picnics and room for games. Should also note that the park is on the Virginia as well as the National Historic Registers.
Of course the reason for the celebration today at the park was the re-dedication of the lake at Forest Hill Park and this is one view. I have more photos on my Flickr Photo Page (and there is a link to that on my page) if you care to see them. A very worthwhile and fun place to explore, and I will be doing some more of that over the time I am here in Richmond, VA. I would consider this to be a first rate park, and one of the best I have seen so far in the area. If you are looking for natural beauty, a great walk or even some fishing (catch and release only though according to the signs) Forest Hill Park would be a great place to check out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Brit Floyd (May 17, 2024)

Went with friends last night to the Brit Floyd concert at The Rose in Huber Heights. Was a wonderful concert, the band was fantastic. Sure, ...