Sunday, November 22, 2009

Stony Point/Shockoe Bottom (Nov 21-22, 2009)

Saturday night went to Stony Point Fashion Park to see the Christmas Tree Lighting. Surprisingly, there was quite a crowd there; must have come across a really good idea due to sheer luck. I like Christmas, and especially enjoy the lights and sounds of the season. This was a nice event; they had people handing out antlers (lighted) to kids, had Santa there, and even had an ice skating rink open...all free too. Dodging the masses of people with their stroller and well bundled kids I wandered around the stores for a while, and then at 7pm sharp they lit the tree seen at the left. They even made snow and blew it from the roofs of the stores and you can also see that in the photo. It was a very nice touch. Met a couple of people due to a Jeff Gordon t-shirt I was wearing, they were NASCAR fans, and were surprised to find I was from Concord, NC. Talked some about racing, also a bit about (of all things) Christmas at the Biltmore in Asheville. They asked if I had ever been ("yes") and if I thought it was worthwhile to go to ("hell yes!").

Forgot to mention they also had the band "The Kings of Swing" playing. I think I heard from the stage that they have been together since 1974; was a nice tight unit though. So far I have not been able to do much exploring of the local Richmond music scene, but have quite a bit of time left for that. To me though, there is nothing like live music, and did enjoy that part of the night a great deal. Played a lot of old classic music. I really did not expect last night to be all that much, but it was a good time for a couple of hours. What really surprises me in Richmond are the things that I come across out of the blue that turn out to be really fun.

Today, on Sunday, got out in the car and rolled down a part of the Midlothian Turnpike that was new to me. Sign off of 150 says "Richmond" to via that route to Richmond I was bound! Somewhat of a gritty area; with a lot of older neighborhoods, old factories, empty storefronts, and rolled straight into Shockoe Bottom. Been there a few times, but like that a great deal. Got out of the car and wandered around. I have seen this entrance which I would guess is an old sort of mall idea that (apparently) did not pan out. Never have seen it get any use, or anyone go in and out, but looks like it was one someones bright idea.

Probably will be again I would guess, for Richmond certainly recycles buildings. This building in Shockoe Bottom looks to be in the process of being re-worked into something else. Warehouses, old tobacco factories, buildings of all sorts...Richmond turns them into something new. Not that much different from my old hometown of Louisville, Kentucky. Not so in Charlotte, NC..there an old building is 20 years old, and its torn down and turned into a new mall or apartment complex. Charlotte is constantly changing to an amazing degree (though with the economy that has slowed down a great deal in the last few months).
Good couple of interesting days in Richmond though. Fun to do things completely for the first time, and to see things that I have never seen. Was eleven years ago that I rolled into Charlotte thinking "man, how did I get into this?" while exploring that town. It is fun to be here, and doing it all again!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Brit Floyd (May 17, 2024)

Went with friends last night to the Brit Floyd concert at The Rose in Huber Heights. Was a wonderful concert, the band was fantastic. Sure, ...