I really liked the Aluminaut; this ship was used by both the US Navy and Jacques Cousteau in research. Read that it could go down to 17,000 feet; was built in 1964 and retired in 1970. It was once used to find an atomic bomb lost off the coast of Spain in 1966 when a B-52 and a KC-135 collided while refueling. I spent some time in the Navy hunting Russian submarines from a P-3 Orion, nice to find this one so easily. I was also impressed with a locomotive on display outside, they have kept a lot of the train station items (the passenger loading area and tracks are still on the site).It was a nice place to visit on a very gloomy day in Richmond. I also got to spend a bit more time in Richmond this afternoon doing some exploring; will save that for my next post here.
Saturday, November 14, 2009
Science Museum of Virginia
I really liked the Aluminaut; this ship was used by both the US Navy and Jacques Cousteau in research. Read that it could go down to 17,000 feet; was built in 1964 and retired in 1970. It was once used to find an atomic bomb lost off the coast of Spain in 1966 when a B-52 and a KC-135 collided while refueling. I spent some time in the Navy hunting Russian submarines from a P-3 Orion, nice to find this one so easily. I was also impressed with a locomotive on display outside, they have kept a lot of the train station items (the passenger loading area and tracks are still on the site).It was a nice place to visit on a very gloomy day in Richmond. I also got to spend a bit more time in Richmond this afternoon doing some exploring; will save that for my next post here.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Festival of Flight Parade (October 3, 2026)
We went to New Carlisle, Ohio for the parade yesterday. Had bands, Shriners, nice cars, celebrities ( local variety) and some 30 aircraft...
-
I go to this about every year, other than weather I don't miss it. Rocketts Landing is a really nice area of Richmond. Pretty view and...
-
Stout drive though Ohio, thru Pennsylvania and to Rocky Gap, Maryland. Spent 4 days there. Went then to Wheeling, WV for a relaxing over...
-
Two festivals over the weekend. The first was Friday June 5 (actually went on for around 4 days) was the Richmond Greek Festival. A favor...
No comments:
Post a Comment