Saturday, November 14, 2009

Around Town (Post Museum) November 14, 2009

In what is now yesterday, following the tour of the Science Museum of Virginia (previous post) wanted to do a little more exploring. There were some monuments on Monument Avenue that I have not seen; the one of Matthew Fontaine Maury ("Pathfinder of the Seas") and the tennis great Arthur Ashe (seen at left). Of course the Richmond Marathon was going on at this time, so traffic was a bit wild. Still, even on a gloomy, misty and gray day, Monument Avenue is a beautiful street. Some say it is one of the most beautiful roads in the US; I would be hard pressed to name many if any that could top it (and I have been a few places over the years).
Due to the race traffic I took a few detours and ended up in Shockoe Slip and Shockoe Bottom (thanks to previous visits). I made a quick visit to Buffalo Wild Wings there. The place was filled with Virginia Tech fans watching the game, and that was fun. I got out for a bit, taking a walk around the area. Liked this photo of Canal Walk that I took with a hint of fall color still. I have been on Canal Walk down near Belle Isle, but had not seen much of this end of it. Due to the weather it was pretty quiet (though normally seems to be that way in visits I have made to the other end) but nice to walk around. The water is really brown due to all the rain of late around here. That has really had a big impact on water levels.
Nothing much shows that more than the last photo here. I took this from a very neat old bridge near Shockoe Slip (the name escapes me) that I walked to. That is the James River, and it is well up over normal. Tried to get to it from some other vantage points that I knew, but many of the roads were closed due to the river level. It was nice today to see the winds less, and the rain reduced to a drizzle, but still a gray day. The last time I have seen the sun at all, was last Monday morning before the motorcycle ride in North Carolina. However, while heading out tonight for a quick dinner and a visit to Barnes and Noble saw something else I have not seen in some time....stars in the sky. That goes to show, that sometimes it pays to look up! Hopefully, that is a positive sign for the upcoming Sunday. It would be nice if the day lives up to its name!

1 comment:

  1. applause once again for some great blogging. enjoyed these very much. I thought of an interesting place I would like to recommend down on the southside of the rivah LOL
    Olgers Store Museum located at Rt 460 and Namozine Rd in Sutherland Va one day if you have a bit of time. I think he is only open on weekends now. But you can google it to see ! Thanks again for the great blog and pics !

    ReplyDelete

Barber Motorsports Museum, Birmingham, Alabama (April 26, 2024)

If you are into motorcycles and some amazing cars, this is your museum. Literally the largest motorcycle museum in the world with over 1100 ...