Sunday, June 28, 2009

SunTrust Indy Challenge (June 27, 2009)

Got to let you guys in on a secret; the IndyCar race last night at Richmond International Raceway was a blast. It was a perfect evening (not too hot, and no rain) and the breeze the cars kicked up at something like 167 mph on the 3/4 mile track was really nice. Had really good access to the drivers (thats Helio Castroneves signing an autograph on his way to the race), and I also saw Ryan Briscoe and Danica Patrick (some more race photos are on my Flickr Page) in the garage area. There was a lot of things to see and do, and really enjoyed the whole event. I am already making plans to return to this race next year.

It was amazing how fast the cars are, having been to some NASCAR races over the years (though mostly at Lowes Motor Speedway in Charlotte, NC) I was amazed how quick they could fly the IndyCars around Richmond International Raceway. I also was very happy with the seats, having a good view of the entire track as well as pit road. That is just a first rate facility and as my son had told me (who had been here when he worked with Richard Petty) just a first rate track. For sure it was just around 1/3 full, but that made it really easy to see the drivers and also to get out at the end of the race. I was back home in no time .
As I noted, saw Danica Patrick, and also got a close look at her race car seen here in the garage. Indy Cars are technological marvels. All of them use Honda engines and make a remarkable sound when they go around the track. There were also a great many booths to visit, and a whole lot of things to watch. I had gone to Indy a few years ago (actually many years ago now) and have to say this was my favorite Indy Car event. Looking forward to their return in 2010!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Brit Floyd (May 17, 2024)

Went with friends last night to the Brit Floyd concert at The Rose in Huber Heights. Was a wonderful concert, the band was fantastic. Sure, ...