Thursday, April 23, 2009

GIve me the lunch, with a side order of towing...

Know how when a airliner lands on the runway, and the thrust reversers kick in and you feel like you are going backwards? Well, sort of had that feeling on I-95 this weekend.

In the context of the start of this post, lunch is of interest on Sunday April 19 which started out better than it ended. Noted in a previous visit that there was quite a crowd at the Chesterfield County Airport for the buffet. I was also told during a haircut while talking about the area that a great place to eat was at the Chesterfield County Airport. So I went back on Sunday April 19 and checked it out. Got a lot of good food for $9.75, all you can eat and beverages included. They had salads, breakfast or lunch type food (chicken, North Carolina and Virginia style BBQ) on the buffet, and it was really good. I enjoyed a few plates, also the view. I am an aircraft fan (which is how I ended up at the airport in the first place a few weeks ago) and enjoyed watching the planes land and take off. I will be coming back there again. Also enjoyed the people, was an older church sort of crowd but a lot of fun and very nice to the guy from North Carolina in the motorcycle shirt with shorts on.
After lunch headed to Chester, NC. I was headed to the City Point Unit site (was a Union supply depot in the Civil War, and General Grants HQ during the Petersburg campaign) when all hell broke loose just short of Exit 61A. All of a sudden a very loud BOOM, check engine light and it felt like that airliner landing as power dropped off. Also of concern was the continuing noise. I got the car into a nearby hotel lot on 10, and raised the hood. The spark plug wire and plug was attached still to the motor. Problem was it was on top of the motor. I attemped to repair the car, but could tell it was stripped out. Got plugs changed over a year ago, but apparently it had blown out. Found out this week again from friends at work, that this is relatively common and has happened to a few people.
Anyhow AAA towed me to a shop near my apartment, at the Firestone Auto Center at 7303 Midlothian Turnpike. Talked to Store Manager John Tate, and they got started on repairs. Required some major work to the engine, the head had to be taken off and a helicoil put in. They also did some work to the engine while the head was off. It was an expensive repair, but have to say I am well pleased with how the car runs. While wish this had not happened, the work was first rate, and the car felt like it had a new motor in it (John said they cleaned off all the 100,000 mile gunk). Sort of like lunch, would use these guys again, and appreciate the fine service given to a guy from "out of town". Got the car back on Tuesday.
Will be giving it a good test this weekend, driving back to Carolina for the weekend. Still plan to make it out to see the HQ of General Grant in a few days. Have really enjoyed exploring the sights and history of Richmond, VA over the last couple of months. I am always impressed with the people I have met amid my travels and problems here in my "part time" city.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Barber Motorsports Museum, Birmingham, Alabama (April 26, 2024)

If you are into motorcycles and some amazing cars, this is your museum. Literally the largest motorcycle museum in the world with over 1100 ...