Sunday, March 27, 2016

Sailor's Creek Battlefield/Farmville (March 26, 2016)

 Posted some photos of my Racing with the Wind Page, but here are more from the motorcycle ride on March 26. This is from the Sailor's Creek Battlefield, where the remains of the Confederate Army of Northern Virginia . During the actions here from April 3-6, 1865 Lee lost a full quarter of his army.Three days later the end came at Appomattox Court House.
Very well preserved battlefield and I can highlt recommend the Visitor Center which has a lot of interesting items from the battle on display. This was the first time I had been here, and was very glad I made the stop to see it.  
Farmville as I noted is an old town...dating to the 1700's. Lots of neat shops, restaurants and stores. It is also the home of Longwood University and that is a fun to explore school...though I did not have time to do that this trip. Spent an hour in Farmville. I was under cloudy skies and expected the rains to fall any second. However, the entire ride got through it bone dry.
The ride to Farmville from Richmond is some 70 miles through some really nice countryside and I really enjoyed that. Though went mainly for the ride (which I had made before with the exception of the battlefield) saw some new and very nice things, and was a very fun day.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Brit Floyd (May 17, 2024)

Went with friends last night to the Brit Floyd concert at The Rose in Huber Heights. Was a wonderful concert, the band was fantastic. Sure, ...