Saturday, April 12, 2014

Walking The Boulevard (April 12, 2014)

 Put the motorcycle (mine) in the shop...getting it ready for a big riding season. Could have taken the bus (Richmond has great bus service) but decided on a beautiful day to walk back to my apartment....a little over a three mile hike. I made that a bit longer with a few side visits.
This statue is pretty neat in front of the Virginia History Museum it is to the "1.5 million" horses North and South that lost their lives in the Civil War. Lot of monuments to the war, but few to the animals and I thought this was pretty cool when I first saw it, and still do now. 
Likewise, this is the Daughters of the Confederacy building, and a nice cannon (there is another on the other side). If you like Civil War history, few places can match up to Richmond, from battlefields, to cemeteries, to factories (much of the arms for the rebels was made here in Richmond); just a lot of history. There is also a lot of Revolutionary War history here, this place goes back a long way in American history.
Many of the houses you walk by on this street are also very old and very historic in a lot of places. Fun place to check out.
This is The  Byrd in Carytown, which is the big shopping part of Richmond (least the interesting park if you are a big fan of shopping...the big malls are in Short Pump) but Carytown has a lot of interesting things. The Byrd is an old theater which shows new movies, and is a very popular place to check out films. I have to say I have never been in this place, but will be this year for sure. I love this sort of thing and am a big fan of movies.
Carytown also has a lot of places to eat, I had brunch at Galaxy Diner..I have eaten there before. I got the bike in the shop early, and frankly a lot of places were not yet open. Galaxy fit the bill!
Finally, the Italian Garden at Maymont. Love that place, especially this time of year (also awesome at Christmas) and love to see the flowers blooming. It was between this and the Japanese Garden; but have photos of that on my Photo Page which is cool. So take a look, at that, and a number of other places I got to see. Have heard that the best way to see a city is on foot, and I have to say I did see a lot of interesting things today. Looking forward to more of the same tomorrow in another favorite place!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Brit Floyd (May 17, 2024)

Went with friends last night to the Brit Floyd concert at The Rose in Huber Heights. Was a wonderful concert, the band was fantastic. Sure, ...