Saturday, March 15, 2014

First visit to Charlottesville, VA (March 15, 2014)

 Took a quick ride on the motorcycle on a beautiful day in mid-March (apparently just before another damn snow storm) but enjoyed the 70s once again (and did so earlier this week before it turned colder) and the ride. Might have a problem with the motorcycle, though happened after I got fuel so will see after I burn that off. Anyhow, made it there and back. While there had lunch at Michie Tavern which dates to 1784 (and has good food) but this is a mill. Like the tavern, it was also moved piece by piece to the new location not far from Monticello. Yeah, Jefferson's house is there, and no I did not get to see it.   
This is Charlottesville, up in the mountains, or at least real near it. Did not make it up there either, but they were my favorite place to ride in North Carolina, and can't wait to do so here. Nice town, and the home to the University of Virginia. Lots of old stuff there to see including some amazing old buildings, two President's houses (Jefferson as mentioned, and Monroe) and a really great outdoor mall in the historic downtown. I tried to see as much as I could in the time I had to do it, but the one thing I learned today was that I have to go back. Very cool place to visit, and I had a great ride and time there.  
This is the statue of Lewis and Clark: George Rogers Clark was from there. Means a lot to me because I am from Clarksville, Indiana and George Rogers Clark was the founder of that city. He got that as a reward for military action and was also famous as the second part of the Lewis and Clark expedition. If you don't know about him, look him up...you will find out about an amazing man.
Nice city, and a beautiful place to be; ride was somewhat windy (a very breezy day) but was not only fun but was the longest ride of the year for me. Sure am ready for Spring which is just a few days away, but winter does not want to let go.
I have more photos on my Racing with the Wind page, and also on my Flickr photo page, and both of them have links on this page. Thanks for visiting, hope to bring you some more interesting Virginia things over the next year. Looking forward to some great adventures in 2014 both from the motorcycle seat and also from the car.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Brit Floyd (May 17, 2024)

Went with friends last night to the Brit Floyd concert at The Rose in Huber Heights. Was a wonderful concert, the band was fantastic. Sure, ...