Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Sunday in the RVA (January 27, 2013)

Nice but cool day in Richmond on Sunday January 27, which was a good day to visit some favorite Richmond museums. The first was the Virginia History Museum, which is free and has some great exhibits covering the long history of this great state. I have visited there a number of times and sure that I will many many more times. I liked this display, the horse, the streetcar and the car in back is a "Kline" car (which as I remember, did not get very many miles before the motor quit). I think there is something for everyone at the Virginia History Museum.  
This is actually part of the Chihuly exhibit which was not free, but the museum itself, it being the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts, is free admission and is right next to the Virginia History Museum, both being in the area of Richmond known as The Fan, and on the Boulevard. One could spend days there and there is sure to be something for everyone. Like the VHM one of my favorite places and one I have visited often. Amazing to look at some of the very old stuff (as far back as 2500 BC) which is on display here.
Following the visit there, went to the Cary Street Cafe to see the Old Time Jam; nice little bar real close to the museums, and also a favorite stop when I am in the area. The music was really good, and the people are really friendly there; you feel welcome when you drop in. I enjoy checking out the jam which usually starts at 2, and is always a large and diverse group of people. By the way, if all this sounds like an ad for these places, its not, as I don't get paid for things I like, I just like em! 
Final stop was Hollywood Cemetery which is one of the oldest in Richmond. Just a beautiful place located right on the James River and directly across from Belle Island. Two US Presidents, and Jeff Davis (a President of sorts) are buried there, plus a number of other famous people from history (most with a Richmond background). Grave here is of General George Pickett, famous for "Pickett's Charge" at Gettysburg. His wife is buried next to him, and many of the troops he lead in that attack are nearby...most in unknown graves. It is a quite haunting place, but an interesting place to explore.
It was a good day for this. Been kind of down lately, and this all got my mind (at least for a time) off of my troubles. However, things are going to brighten up very soon, a couple of events that I believe will make my time here better will be coming back with me from North Carolina. Always hard to part company, but as I am told things happen for a reason.    

No comments:

Post a Comment

Barber Motorsports Museum, Birmingham, Alabama (April 26, 2024)

If you are into motorcycles and some amazing cars, this is your museum. Literally the largest motorcycle museum in the world with over 1100 ...