Saturday, November 17, 2012

Preview of Christmas, RVA (November 17, 2012)

 Let it be known, I love the Christmas holiday (I am also a huge fan of Thanksgiving, just a few days from now) and the fact that the stores are having an early start is fine with me. After all I have Christmas in two states to check out, and there will be a lot of great sounds and sights to experience both in North Carolina and in Virginia. Started with Virginia, at the Short Pump Town Center this tree was lit up just the day before, and I went out to see it, as in this case...I never had. West Broad Street is a very busy road, and very retail with a number of strip malls, and of course the massive complex that is Short Pump Town Center. A big mall should have a big tree and this was the largest one that I got out to see today. Wandered around for a little bit there, but for me at least it is too early to do any real shopping. Nonetheless, got a feeling that just about anything you could want, need, or think you need could be found at Short Pump Town Center. As malls go, it was pretty impressive. 
From West Broad Street, drove back to the Midlothian area. Checked out the tree at Westchester Commons, and also one at Chesterfield Towne Center (the latter has the tree inside). Also at Chesterfield I got to talk to Santa for a little bit (which was kind of cool), and wandered around for a short while at Garden Ridge. In between those two places is this dentist office at left. It seems to be one of the first places to light up in the area, and is usually one of the last to turn the lights off after Christmas. This, to me, is not a bad thing at all. I tend to go by there quite a bit. Also worth a lot, are the bears in the dentist chairs in the three lower front windows. I always enjoy seeing this.       
Ended my night at Stony Point Fashion Park, which is certainly a cool mall. For one thing its outdoor, and for another it is the most (hands down) dog friendly mall in Richmond (and Richmond is a very dog friendly town). As for the tree, it was lit up November 10, and this tree is really cool. Had a really good sound system, and the lights dance to the music (which happens in regular intervals) during the course of the night. I also enjoyed some Christmas music by a solo electric guitarist. It was a good day for that, also two other good guitarists performed (but not Christmas music) at the South of the James Market today in Forest Hill Park.
The holiday season is off to a really good start, and there is a lot more to come! Of course have to give a word to the "less than a week away" Thanksgiving holiday - while not as colorful as Christmas, it is certainly the most tasty holiday, and I am looking very forward to that.    

No comments:

Post a Comment

Barber Motorsports Museum, Birmingham, Alabama (April 26, 2024)

If you are into motorcycles and some amazing cars, this is your museum. Literally the largest motorcycle museum in the world with over 1100 ...