Sunday, March 11, 2012

Cusp of Spring

Enjoyed a quiet weekend in the neighborhood in Richmond, which as written is just eight days from the "official" start of Spring. Though have to say as winter goes, this past one was not bad at all. Not a big fan of snow, and sure did not see much of it this year. Temperatures were also very moderate and the season was a great one for my favorite hobby (motorcycling) and also for walking. I enjoyed some great walks over the weekend in Richmond. Went around the park and enjoyed exploring some of the neighborhoods around Forest Hill Avenue. It is a welcome change from where I have lived for the past three years. Even had a nice visit to O'Toole's which is a fun place to drop in.

Move has gone well except for some billing issues with Comcast. Seems I had two modem's on my account, but thanks to some phone calls, and a visit to the office on Iron Bridge Road with a return receipt that (thankfully) I had the foresight to both get, and to keep where I could find it, it looks like it has been straightened out. I tell you this to remind you to always get a receipt; I did so because when I got my old modem read stories that it was possible for this to happen. Overall Comcast is not bad, I am ok with the service, and being connected is vital in the world of today.

Speaking of being connected, I am sort of an aviation nut so a couple of items of interest in that regard. For one, Microsoft Flight is the successor to the discontinued Microsoft Flight Simulator series. I downloaded that over the weekend (a rather hefty download at that) but it is remarkable. If you have ever wanted to fly, its something to check out. They used to say, "its as real as it gets", well I have flown and this is remarkable!

Second, event of note coming up at the National Air and Space annex in Washington, DC. On April 17 (be sure to check though, its a NASA operation, so could change) the Shuttle Discovery will be flying into Dulles International Airport and the shuttle will go on display at the National Air and Space Museum annex there. They have quite a few days of celebrating planned there. The shuttle will arrive on the back of its Boeing 747 carrier aircraft, which is a pretty remarkable sight. The shuttle Enterprise (and that shuttle never went into space, was a test vehicle for the shuttle program) will be going to the Intrepid Air and Space Museum in New York City. I plan to go see it in April, hope to bring some photos back from that visit. The museum is free to visit, but parking at the airport is $15.

Going to be a lot of things coming up in both Carolina and Virginia as Spring fires up. Looking forward to bringing some of them here, and hope you all have a great season.      

No comments:

Post a Comment

Barber Motorsports Museum, Birmingham, Alabama (April 26, 2024)

If you are into motorcycles and some amazing cars, this is your museum. Literally the largest motorcycle museum in the world with over 1100 ...