Thursday, June 23, 2011

Summer, NC 2011! (June 21,2011)

Went after a fine first day of summer motorcycle ride on an amazing hot day the first day of summer. Temperature was 99 in Concord, summer indeed! Met my wife Patty (that is her hand at right) at work, and took her to Three Monkey's for lunch. Have nice lunch specials there (we had the Chicken Salad) but the focus of the photo is the Fried Pickles. Yeah, not the healthy way to enjoy pickles, but really really good. I like those, and I like that restaurant. Good food and great prices, plus the owner is really nice. Made for a nice time, and being a migrant factory worker I don't get to have lunch out with my wife all that often.
My son got me (among other things) a six pack of "Samuel Adams Summer Ale", so this was actually the first photo of Summer that I took, right after 1pm on June 21. Nice view of the backyard as well in Carolina. Like different beers, there are some interesting ones out there to check out (life is too short to drink bland beer). I am also a fan of locally brewed (in Richmond, VA) Legends Beer, and also like going to Capital Ale House in Richmond which has a HUGE selection of craft beers. On a hot summer day there is nothing like an ice cold beer, though ice tea runs a very close second. I never really had ice tea before NC...where sweet tea is an art form.
Finally, cooling in the AC are my border collies. Talk about something that gives you joy; a big part of my family these gals (both are female) keep me moving and on my toes. They love to play (except when its 99 outside, then they like to chill in the A/C) and love morning walks (and we did that each morning I was home, early before the heat built up). Border Collies have a lot of character and of all the dogs I have enjoyed over my life they are among the most amazing. I am constantly amazed at how smart they are; they as I have seen others do, can find many of their toys by name. Tell them to "bring me the football" and they do it. They also are masters of playing catch, and love to do it for hours on end. They are always glad to see me (thankfully, so is my wife and son) and always ready to get out and moving. That is good for them, but also good for me....beat having rarely used exercise equipment. Plus, not sure that anything can love you as much as a dog can. They are remarkable friends and a great joy in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Brit Floyd (May 17, 2024)

Went with friends last night to the Brit Floyd concert at The Rose in Huber Heights. Was a wonderful concert, the band was fantastic. Sure, ...