Saturday, June 11, 2011

Bikes and Guitars in the RVA (June 11, 2011)

Giving history of sorts a pause, went out with my buddy Keith to see some motorcycles and guitars in the Richmond area. The reason for the trip was...we like motorcycles and guitars. Keith is a riding buddy of mine from North Carolina (like me, via Kentucky) and we made quite a few stops. One of the stops (though not in order) was a quick stop for refreshment at Quaker Steak and Lube in Short Pump. A nice bar, Quaker Steak hosts a rather large (I am told, have not been able to go there due to my night work) bike night on Wednesday nights. Has a very nice motorcycle themed bar, and friendly people at the restaurant on West Broad Street. Cheers!
Not far (in fact we walked to it from Quaker Steak and Lube) is the Honda House in Short Pump. Talked about the CB1000R which I had yet to see (brand new for 2011) a very helpful salesman told me, "its not on display, and is sold, but we have one" and took us to the back to see the new bike. In fact I got to "try it on for size" and was very impressed with the motorcycle. Liked the single sided swingarm, and the inline four water cooled engine. It has been getting great reviews, but it has proven, until today to be a hard bike to see either in North Carolina, or in Virginia. Very impressed with this motorcycle, and look forward to seeing more of them on the roads.

Keith and I made a stop to Velocity Motorcycles, which has moved from its former location on The Boulevard (across from Buz and Ned's) to the new shop at 3023 W. Marshall Street. One of my favorite shops, it carries a unique collection of motorcycles. Guy seen here is getting ready to ride off on a Royal Enfield Bullet. Now made in India, the bikes were made in England starting in 1870. That makes it the oldest motorcycle brand in continuous production in the world. New models have been updated. They also carry a number of classic motorcycles. I visited the old shop a number of times, will do so with this one as well.
Finally, like to play guitar, and Keith and I visited both Sam Ash and Guitar Center in Short Pump. Funny thing is that they are side by side; park in one lot and walk to the other. Seems a bit crazy to me, though I have seen that done with a couple of pairs of restaurants in North Carolina, so I guess there is some logic to it. Very nice guitar shops (both are part of national chains..we have them both in NC) and very well staffed with helpful people. Also very noisy, as there are all sorts of people playing musical instruments, which I find very cool. If you are looking for something that makes music, this are good places to check out. Though we did not go today, also enjoy the Richmond Music Center, another fine shop which is located on the Midlothian Turnpike. Richmond is a very good town for music, and have enjoyed some great bands while I have been here.
A fun day, and enjoyed it a great deal. I hope you have enjoyed the photos!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Barber Motorsports Museum, Birmingham, Alabama (April 26, 2024)

If you are into motorcycles and some amazing cars, this is your museum. Literally the largest motorcycle museum in the world with over 1100 ...