Friday, April 15, 2011

Carolina Weekend (April 9-11)

Last few days of the vacation I spent at home in North Carolina. Went for a ride on April 10 with my friend Phil on the motorcycles. Got this photo at left of Gary's Barbeque in China Grove. Closed on Sunday (as many places in North Carolina often are) this place is packed when it is open. Barbeque is a way of life and a passion in North Carolina. Been on a few great rides to the home of North Carolina Barbeque (Lexington, NC to be exact) which has a very neat festival centered on pork in the fall. I believe in some of my older posts, some photos of that event which brings something like 500,000 people to that town for the one day festival.
During my vacation, I did a lot of work to this bike. I got new brake pads for the front wheel (though I will be putting those on) and also got a new rear tire (cause you only have two, and it was time for some new rubber on the back). Phil took this photo at RideNow in Concord, NC. I have had that bike since 2005 (purchased new) and have (as I write this) a bit over 24,500 trouble free miles on it. Part of it is that it is a very well made machine, the other part is keeping up with the maintenance. Motorcycle or car they last a lot longer, and give you a lot fewer problems when you take good care of them. I love riding in the Carolinas (North and South!).
Threw this in, another view of the mountains of North Carolina from the end of the trip to Indiana and Kentucky which can be seen in the previous few posts. That was a remarkable trip, and this vacation was a remarkable time indeed. Think this would certainly go down as one of my best vacations, had a great time on the road, a great time with family and friends in "Kentuckiana" and a great time with my family back home in North Carolina. Always good to be with people you love in places that mean a lot to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Barber Motorsports Museum, Birmingham, Alabama (April 26, 2024)

If you are into motorcycles and some amazing cars, this is your museum. Literally the largest motorcycle museum in the world with over 1100 ...