Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Warriors and Warbirds (November 7,2010)

Great weekend in Carolina, lots of fun family things during my latest "migrant factory worker"life phase. I also got in some motorcycling, and another great combination of airshow and riding. A previous ride to the RideNow Open House (a bike shop in Concord, NC) got me a new (and warm) motorcycle jacket. That came in handy on another clear but unseasonably cold day in the Carolinas. I rode to Monroe to the air show; this being my third in the last few weeks! Been on a roll with planes, and I do enjoy them. Seen at left are three classic WWII aircraft: A P-40 Warhawk, a USN Dauntless Dive bomber, and (mostly hidden) a P-51 Mustang.
I like air shows, where you get to see some thrilling flying, and some very amazing machines. This is a biplane, which takes flight back to an earlier era. I like these classic aircraft, and it is fun to meet the pilots who fly them. It also is fun to see how aviation has changed over the years. This air show was the smallest of the three, but its local, and has grown over the years. I have some more photos posted on my photo page which you can check out. I wandered around a bit, and saw the booths that were set up. Nice airport and this show was a good source of revenue for the airport; read they were expecting 100,000 for the two days of the show.
I took this photo of the replica Japanese aircraft of "Tora Tora Tora". I believe they were used during the filming of the movie "Midway" and a few other WWII films. Tora Tora Tora puts on a thrilling show, and the planes are interesting as well. Unfortunately, I did not stay for much of the flying; having to settle due to time constraints with checking out the planes as they sat (though I did see the Black Daggers Parachute team, and some flying). Got in a great backroads ride (took a more direct route there) on the way back to my family and some fun with them during my stay. Visits to Carolina seem to last a matter of hours, but always something wonderful to do, and great times with the family to get me though the rest of my time spent in Richmond. It helps that Richmond is an interesting town, and I have found a number of fun things to do and see here. I will be bringing more from Carolina and Virginia in my next posts. Coming up is the holiday season, and that is a most interesting and special time in both places as I have found over the last two years in Richmond, and many more years in Carolina.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Barber Motorsports Museum, Birmingham, Alabama (April 26, 2024)

If you are into motorcycles and some amazing cars, this is your museum. Literally the largest motorcycle museum in the world with over 1100 ...